Chapter 6

Caroline's POV:

The inner working of the city was beautiful, and the early morning autumn air was the perfect setting to explore it all in.

Seeing the humans and vampires rouse from their homes and take their spots in the cities, basking in the variety of scents that filled the air within the hour.

Fruity, buttery pastries and breads, the nutty aroma from local cafes of coffees, and the refreshing assortment of teas and warm ciders to energize the awakening community.

The streets were filled with cheerful greetings to one another with smiles and waves across streets.

Even the children skipped gleefully beside their parents.

There wasn't an underlying tension here that I was used to feeling back at my home amongst the people, or maybe it was just coming from my own mind.

Either way, I found it unbelievably pleasant.

The trees here were more colorful and expressive in the morning sun than the pine and evergreen that surrounded my home. Gorgeous reds and golds that showed the season in its glory.

I spun where I stood, bracing the cold air and taking in the beauties surrounding me just right here where I stood.

I didn't know where I was going, I didn't know what there was to see or where there was to go. Frankly, I didn't care. I knew I could find my own entertainment and enjoyment wherever I went that wasn't my home.

My spin stopped and part of my hair fell over my shoulder from the motion, finding that I'd stopped myself in such a way to where I now faced southward, putting the dark-bricked castle right in my view.

I took in the sight with the position of the morning sun, dwelling on the people that lived there. Pondering what my life may have been like if my parents picked that path.

They'd done a good job, these Vanderwoods. I wished my parents would take note of some of the things they've done.

If they'd get over their bitterness and open their minds just a bit, instead of staying insistent on their ways.

This clan of theirs wasn't going to become any more successful through force. I wish by now they realized that.

But, they haven't. Which I suppose was one of the reasons I escaped for a bit and came here to breathe.

If I remember correctly, their heir is approaching that age to where he may be soon taking over. If that is the case, I just hope he keeps that streak his parents has laid before him.

My parent may not listen, but they can't blatantly ignore the rule of the territory they live in.

Stop focusing on that. You came here to get away from it, and the clock is ticking for when you need to return to it.

I rolled out my shoulders and took in a deep, mind-clearing breath.

Food. I could go for some food.

Right, I'll just follow the scent to that absolutely mouthwatering strawberry scent, and perhaps pick up a drink while I'm there.

Maybe it'll be in a tart form, or one of those scones I've heard people talk about but haven't yet gotten the chance to try.

There was a childish glee at the thought, one that almost had me laughing to myself.

I didn't get the chance to, at least not before it got interrupted by something else.

I felt my instincts begin to stir in a gentle warning that had me turning my head to see what all of the fuss was about.