Chapter 20

She was amazing, this woman.

Flowing so effortlessly despite her subtle nerves through everything thrown at her today.

After I'd finished the business needed from me, I returned to find her sitting at a table in the gardens with Zeke, giggling at the surely embarrassing story he was telling her about me, and the grin he sent my way after noticing my presence only affirmed it.

Though, I had to appreciate his effort in offering her another friend here and helping her get comfortable.

I then led her to her room and left her to rest and prepare for dinner with my family, making sure to send up a variety of clothes for her to choose from.

My mother had made sure to mention that we were to dress up tonight for the 'occasion'.

Zeke and I caught up on the little details in the meantime before he needed to leave, and thus left me to get ready for tonight again.

I stayed with my typical dark colors. It wasn't too uncommon for vampires to wear colors that resembled that of their wings, and given that mine were a perfect pitch black... that didn't leave much room for anything else.

Still, I tried with some gold and deep red accents over my vest and the buttons of it.

This time, I decided to keep my hair down aswell, letting its natural, subtle waves do their own thing in hopes that it might match hers.

I don't know what I was expecting when I went to her room to fetch her.

Sure I'd dwelt on which dress she'd choose or what she'd do with her hair, but I knew that nothing was going to compare to seeing it with my own eyes.

She took a moment to answer when I knocked and forced myself to stand patiently instead of just walking in there.

And god was it worth it. My eyes nearly fell from my head the moment that door opened.

She'd chosen a soft green gown tonight.

One that held tight to her waist and hips, then fell loosely down to the floor, with sleeves that skipped over her shoulders and instead hung down from her biceps.

She'd taken full advantage of the accessories given to her, adorning a necklace with smooth black stones that tapered down her collarbone.

Her nails were filed into long, rounded shapes, and her hair curled into those perfect, full waves I'd been hoping for.

"Do you think this will do?" She asked, fully confident in her choices, but still asking to make sure.

It took me a moment to find my words instead of just opening and closing my mouth like an idiot.

"I think yo- it's perfect." I managed, extending my elbow out as an offer for her to take.

She let out a little laugh, the tips of her fingers lifting to cover her lips before she stepped out, closed the door, and looped her arm around mine.

"Anything you need to warn me about your dad?" She light-heartedly pressed.

I nearly barked out a laugh, but luckily caught it.

"Oh, absolutely not. You've already done the hard part of meeting my mom. As the Royal born, she's really the one that's more difficult. He's most likely just as nervous as you if not more so."

For a lord, he was timid and soft-spoken, but it all worked with my mom by his side.

"I see," She spoke with a faint giggle, keeping close to my side, "I'll trust you then."