14

Señora Alfonso took my phone in second period for the full day again. And, again, it was thanks to Lindsay. She had second period with Landon and was texting me about how he was bragging to everyone at the start of class how he bagged me Saturday night.

Such a gentleman.

"I hear you're having a blast telling everyone you fucked me on Saturday," I said to him with a harsh side eye when he came up to me, Rory, and Lauren on the track during sixth period. I slowed my pace so Rory and Lauren got ahead.

Landon simply smiled and slung his arm around my shoulders. Only for a second though. I quickly took a step away, slipping out of his reach. He laughed obnoxiously and taunted, "Aw, Al. Are you mad about it?"

"No," I replied smoothly. "I just think it's a little pathetic."

He stepped in front of me, halting my movements, before leaning down to meet my height with narrowed eyes. In warning, he murmured, "Watch your mouth, Allie."

My heart started pounding and I felt my fingers shake a little. Still, I was able to plant a smirk on my lips, my eyes twinkling. "I think it's you who should watch yours."

He took a menacing step towards me, but I refused to move. I stood my ground. He reached his hand out, but I caught his wrist before he could make contact, squeezing the skin as his eyes went aflame.

"Don't get cocky, Landon," I said, my smirk not having budged. "Saturday was a one-time thing."

He stepped back and I let his wrist go. Shaking his head, a perverse grin grew on his face. "I know that's a lie. And you know it, too."

Then he turned and jogged toward Rory and Lauren ahead of us.

I let out a jagged exhale, rubbing my fingers against my palms to calm their shaking.

I spent the rest of the period walking by myself around the track, trying to figure out why I was reacting this way. Guys had done far worse than what Landon just did, yet my body was physically shaken. I hated just the thought of admitting it, but it was true—I felt it. Scared.

Why though? For the past few years, nothing a guy did or said scared me. Nothing made me worry or fear or question or ruminate. So what changed?

I concluded it was because of Spencer. Because I let someone in again and now my wall had been punctured. That had to be why Landon was chipping away at me so easily.

I wanted to punch something—mostly myself. I felt stupid. I knew better. I fucking knew better.

Seventh period World History was exactly what I needed. A classroom filled with people I'd never care to speak to. More importantly, they would never dare speak to me. Since I didn't have my phone though, I had nothing to do but sit and stare at the door, watching as my classmates slowly filtered in. I didn't even recognize their faces, despite having sat in a classroom with them almost every day for months now.

I did recognize one face though. And the blood pumping through my veins went into overdrive as I watched Scott walk in and take a seat in the second row.

Yet again, I had been clueless to Scott's presence. It was almost the end of the semester and this whole time, I had no idea he was even in this class.

Before I could comprehend what I was doing, I had all of my belongings packed up. When I reached his desk, I turned to the girl sitting on his right. Her dyed red hair was so bright I had to blink a few times. Noticing my presence next to her, she looked up at me and her eyes immediately widened.

"Hey," I said, with a small smile. "Can we trade seats."

She stared at me and I watched as she processed the fact that I was talking to her, and then what I said. She nodded and hastily grabbed her stuff before heading to the back of the classroom where I usually sat.