34

"There you are." His voice was so hard, it almost sounded like he was scolding me.

Silence. If you could taste the air, it went from sweet to bitter in a matter of seconds. I tried to take a small step to the side, away from his grasp, but his hand on my hip held me firm in place. It tightened even, when he felt my resistance.

Accepting momentary defeat, I pushed the corners of my lips into a tight smile as I looked up at his beautifully defined face. "Spencer. This is Scott and Tyler."

All three of them didn't speak a word and the vodka in my stomach began to burn. Was this a weird territorial—minorly sexist—power play? Could even Spencer see the connection I felt with Tyler? Both boys were glaring at each other, until Tyler's eyes dropped to stare at Spencer's arm around my waist. The burning in my stomach rose to the base of my throat. This was the last thing I wanted.

"You're her neighbor," Spencer said. It should've been a question, but instead it came out as a dogged statement.

"Something like that," Tyler responded just as callously.

Trying to dissipate the tension while standing my ground, even though, ironically, I was beginning to have trouble balancing, I looked up at Spencer with as much tenacity as I could muster. "He's my friend."

I felt Tyler's eyes piercing through my skin but kept my gaze on Spencer as he looked down at me with a grim smile. "Well, basically everyone's your friend, Allie."

I tried to step away from him again but failed. I felt an ember spark somewhere deep in my core. I knew what he meant by this. He was trying to relegate what Tyler was to me. But Tyler wasn't just everyone. He was my friend, but he wasn't—

"Can I borrow her for a moment."

My eyes went wide, but Spencer didn't wait for a response. He was already turning and walking me away from Tyler and Scott. I looked over my shoulder and mouthed to them both, I'll find you.

Tyler's jaw ticked with irritation, although that wasn't entirely new. Scott just looked stunned.

Spencer led me through the crowd and down the staircase. The music blasting in the living room slowly became a distant hum.

"Where are we going?" I asked. My voice came out slurred, but cold, and I tried to maintain control, walking with purpose in each wobbly step I took.

One hand was still around my waist while the other rested on my shoulder as he guided me down the stairs, eventually entering Lindsay's room. My heart was pounding. I trusted Spencer, but I didn't like this.

"I have something for you."

He led me to the full-length mirror Lindsay had in the corner of her bedroom. Spencer stood behind me and I couldn't help but notice how we looked. Lindsay and Rachel were right. As they've told me many times before, we looked good together. We looked like how Tyler and Kelsey looked to me. I watched my own chest visibly sink in on itself at the thought.

"Close your eyes," Spencer murmured, staying put directly behind me.

"Spencer."

"Close them."

I sighed but obeyed. I heard and felt him shifting and rustling. Then, his hand delicately gathered my hair and moved it to one side. My heart was pounding and I felt dizzy, hating that I was completely vulnerable in this position. His arms gently wrapped around my shoulders and I felt a light tickle across my clavicle. There was a snapping sound behind me and then a soft weight rested around my neck. He moved my hair again so it rested in the valley between shoulder blades.