Chapter 1

Y/N, you'll be fine, stop worrying. Everything will be fine.

Repeating that mantra over and over again seemed to be the only thing stopping me from completely breaking down into a nervous wreck. Even though you graduated at the top of your class at Harvard University and had a PhD in Psychology, the nerves still swam around your body, making your knees slightly weak.

You stared at yourself in the mirror, promptly deciding that a few alcoholic beverages were the only thing you could count on to ease your mind. You slip into a cute, simple outfit and begin your walk to a bar nearby.

The walk was peaceful, a light coating of snow beginning to settle over the sidewalk

The walk was peaceful, a light coating of snow beginning to settle over the sidewalk. As a kid, I always used to dream of a white Christmas. Every year I was disappointed that the snow never came and it was only when I was around 6 years old that I learnt that the Australian heat that presented itself over Christmas does not create the optimal conditions for snow to fall. The snow was on the list of my favourite things about the US, although that list was still growing, slowly but surely, even though I had been living here for 5 and a half years.

Eventually, I made it to the bar and I go to open the door to let myself in, but right before I grab the handle, a tall, handsome man softly swats my hand away and opens it for me. I look up at the stranger and offer him a sweet smile as I brush past him and step into the warmth of the bar. I turn to him and simply say "Thank you", before walking off, taking a seat at the bar and ordering a drink. In the corner of my eye, I watch the handsome man sit down on a stool further down from mine, noticing how professional he looked and the lack of emotion he displayed on his face. However, his body language spoke volumes. The way he immediately slouched when he sat told me he was tired, how he ran his fingers through his hair and rubbed his forehead told me he was stressed, and the way he just stared at his drink told me something was on his mind. 

Stop it Y/N, you shouldn't profile random people.

After finishing my first drink, I swiftly stood up, dragged my new drink along the bar and sat down next to the gentleman. He looked up and smiled when he realised it was me. "There we go," I say smiling in return. His smile disappears and he looks at me, puzzled.

"What do you mean?"

"I haven't seen you smile once since you walked in that door, and you just smiled."

"Oh, right. Sorry." He apologised, looking back down at his drink and laughing slightly.

"Don't be. I'm Y/N." I extend my hand as I introduce myself.

"Aaron," he says as he shakes my hand.

"Nice to meet you, Aaron." You smiled at each other and it was at this moment that he noticed my accent, the only indication of his realisation was his now curious expression which he was trying to hide, unsuccessfully. "Yes, I'm Australian," I say, answering his unspoken question and his curious expression fades as he decides not to push me about it. You couldn't tell if his mood had lightened or if he was now distracted from his thoughts. Either way, one conversation leads to another and both of us lose track of the time.

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

My head wasn't pounding when I opened my eyes, a good sign that I will not be needing any remedies for a hangover. It took me about 15 seconds to remember last night's events and an extra 5 seconds to realise I was wrapped tightly in this man's arms, fully naked. Resting my hand on his bare chest, I tilt my head up to look at him, finding him already awake, and our eyes meet. "Good morning Y/N, sleep well?" he asked, a sarcastic tone laced in his voice.

"I don't remember doing much sleeping." Aaron laughed at my disgruntled response. How was he so awake? Despite not being slapped with a hangover, I was definitely going to suffer the consequences of a lack of sleep. My eyes broke away from his to glance at the small alarm clock by my bed. It read 08:15 am. 

Shit, I'm going to be late.

I jump out of Aaron's arms and slid out of bed, every inch of my body mourning the absence of the warmth supplied by the man laughing at me. "Stop laughing Aaron, I am late for my first day at my job and I am absolutely going to blame it on you when my boss yells at me!" This did not shut him up and only made him laugh more. Ugh!  He finally stops laughing and he looks at me, his eyes taking in every inch of my body, "Take a picture, it'll -"

"Last longer, I know, but I think a mental image will do," he interrupts as he looks me up and down again. I roll my eyes, slip on some clean panties and a black lace bra and start quickly looking through my wardrobe for some work-appropriate clothes to wear, selecting black slacks and a white knitted turtleneck. One of Aaron's hands snaked around my waist and the other moved my hair from my shoulder, allowing him to place soft kisses on my neck, "I have to get ready for work" I tell him.

I can feel his lips against my ear as he whispers "Come on, you have time."

"No, I don't Aaron, last night was amazing I promise, but I have to get ready," I snapped, his presence behind me disappearing and I can hear him getting dressed. I turn to him, realising I was a bit harsh, "Sorry, I'm just stressed, I didn't mean to snap at you." I have always been an affectionate person so it didn't surprise me when I felt the urge to hug him. He didn't fight the hug, instead, he sunk into it and I swore I could hear him thank me, even if it was muffled.

I hope that was alright for the first chapter, it was a bit short but I will try to make them longer.