CHAPTER SIX

TATIANA LORIEL

Four days ago....

"Looks like escaping won't work here," Tatiana whispered to herself after looking out the window. Guards were stationed below her window sill, and there were even more guards outside her room. It looks like she won't be able to get out of her room, better yet the palace, during this time.

The royal physician came to check her health after telling her that she was unconscious for days after she was poisoned. Tatiana thought that maybe she was transferred to this body during that period, but she did not understand why. How could a real human being become a character in a mere book?

What's even more alarming is that she remembers the previous princess's past. Not everything, but she remembers her childhood up until now. She remembers the princess's late mother, the previous queen. She remembers Bjorn as well as her half-brother Elliot.

Even though she has memories of them, some parts are still missing. It's like fragments of her memories are missing.

"Your highness, I heard you called?"

Someone called from outside. Tatiana quickly stood up and straightened out her dress.

"You may enter."

The butler from before entered. An old man who looks like he is sixty entered the room. He was wearing glasses and his grayish hair was neatly combed back. He was also wearing a neat and well-ironed suit that remained smooth even after a day's worth of work.

"What can I do for your highness?" he politely asked, his head slightly bowing down.

"I'm sorry to ask this, but what was your name again?"

The butler was slightly taken aback by the princess's questions but regained his composure.

"I apologize for asking when you seem like you know me for so long. But ever since I woke up I don't remember some of the people here as well a large part of my memories is missing," Tatiana lied.

Pretending to have amnesia seemed like the easiest way to trick people into giving her information. But it was also a double-edged sword since many could use it to fool and use her.

"It is William, princess," he answered politely.

Tatiana cleared her throat and slightly looked over to the closed double doors leading outside her room. William, the butler, seemed to notice this and sighed. The Princess was easy to read. Ever since she woke up and recovered from the poison, the only thing written on her face was 'must escape' 'find a way to escape.

It felt like she woke up and became a totally different person. Knowing the previous Tatiana, the butler and the rest of the palace workers expected that every day would become as chaotic as before. It is still chaotic now, but not like in the past when the princess was always hot-headed and there were at least five palace workers fired every day.

Everyone had the same impression of the princess. She was a brat. The workers would push each other to serve her since nobody wanted to do it willingly. In fact, every one of them hated and feared her.

However, William was an exception.

William worked at the palace ever since he was young. He was also the one who took care and served the late queen before she passed away. He witnessed the princess growing up and saw her lose someone very important to her. So even if she acts like a brat and is hated by everyone, William, of all people should be there for her.

"There are palace guards everywhere, your highness," William explained. "The king instructed that you will not be allowed to go out of the palace unless you fully recover."

Tatiana's eyes widened at the butler's remarks. She swallowed the lump on her throat and showed a sheepish grin.

"I am not trying to escape!" she said defensively but William only gave her a suspecting look as if he heard that a hundred times already. "I swear!"

William sighed, "Then may I ask why you called me here?"

"Do you know where the royal library is?" Tatiana hopefully asked, "Uh—I forgot where it was since I lost my memories."

William was taken aback by what Tatiana said. After all, everyone knows how much Tatiana hated the library. She hated books, she hated reading, and most of all, she hated the person who always stayed at the library.

"For whatever reason?" The butler asked, quite flustered. Tatiana blinked in confusion.

"Did-Did I not go to the library?" she asked. She only wanted to read all about the kingdom and what year they are in. If she wants to survive the second life given to her, she needs to know all about it first.

The butler cleared his throat and shook his head. He stood straight while slightly loosening his necktie.

"I apologize for my rudeness, princess. It is just that this event is unusual, since you rarely go to the library."

"Why didn't I go there? Is it a place I hated?" Tatiana asked. She really doesn't know why the butler looked so shocked when all she wanted was to go to the library. Was it something important? She suddenly broke into cold sweat. She realized that if somebody knew that she was not the real princess, she might get executed for identity theft and she does not want to die a criminal.

William studied her expression to see if the princess was just putting on an act to find a way to escape but from years of raising her, he realized that she genuinely is just curious and wants to go to the royal library.

He sighed and nodded at the princess.

"I will guide you there. For now, please get some rest."

Tatiana's face lightened after being allowed to leave the room. She needs to gather information as soon as possible if she wants to live this life and find the solution as to why this happened to her.

Somehow, she had never felt this way before. A feeling of thrill and excitement rather than being numb and worrying if she has enough money to have a meal for the next day. She thought that maybe if this was just a dream and she was in a coma, she should make the most of it.

--

END