𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘱𝘱𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘥𝘦𝘤𝘰𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘴

ॱ⋅.˳˳.⋅˙ॱᐧ.˳˳.⋅ઇଓ

     it always pissed you off that you were just a hair too short to reach the top shelf. you were fairly tall- tall enough to look average amongst everyone else in a crowd, and matt was just a few inches taller than you. he didn't tower over your head or anything crazy. but when you walked down an aisle in the grocery store and you needed that box of cookies on the top shelf, you either had to scale the shelf yourself like you were S.W.A.T. or give up on getting it; and then, with a smile that made your skin crawl, matt would swoop in and reach it for you. he had to get on his tip-toes a bit, but not nearly enough to console your wounded ego. it happened every goddamn time. he would see you struggling and laugh under his breath, which made your stomach churn in anger. and then he would watch you jump and try to reach it, your fingers just cresting the edge of the shelf, and sigh in a know-it-all fashion as you retreated and stomped away. after observing like the smug, one-upping asshole he can be, he would ruffle your hair and say, "don't worry, baby, i'll get it for you. why don't you just ask next time?"
sometimes you just chose to not get anything that sat on a shelf higher than your head completely when you went shopping with him, and you'd excuse yourself for a quick run to the store and get that box of cookies for yourself at a later time. that was how much you hated it when he teased you for being 'short'- which you weren't!

     but right now, you had no choice. the last box of blue ornaments was on the very top layer of the shelf. you and matt had a cart overflowing with boxes of multicolored lights and window stickers and little trinkets and toys for decorating, because neither of you could decide on a cohesive theme for your place. he seemed to like the idea of a chaotic home, though, and so did you. all you were missing was a few blue ornaments to balance out the colors of everything, but they were all the way above your head, and you found yourself stuck in the same situation you had been successfully avoiding for a while now.

     you stood there with your arms crossed and lips pursed tightly, muttering little curses at that box inside your head. how dare you taunt me? you asked it, you know that matt is gonna make fun of me, you bitch!

your boyfriend on the other hand, stood behind the cart beside you, a devious little smirk playing on his lips. it drove you absolutely insane that he was just allowed to stand still and observe looking like... that. with that frustratingly dark chocolate hair tucked under his cherry snapback, giving way for his little lakes for eyes to stare amusedly as you debate if you're willing to be humiliated in the middle of a walmart christmas aisle. you wanted nothing more than to scream when you looked to your left and saw matt leaning against the cart all nonchalant, growing distracted from the fight with your own pride as you thought, god, this is unfair. you were in a pair of sweats and a big black sweater, sporting day-old hair twisted in a clip and your glasses. how can he look hot in sweatpants right now?
     even when he was pissing you off, you couldn't help but find him completely entrancing. you hated that.

     "you want those blue ones, all the way up there?" matt spoke up, pointing towards the ornate silver box on the shelf.

     "maybe," you lied.

     "i can reach them for you if you want."

     he knew what he was doing. you knew that he knew. that jerk.

     "no, it's fine. i can reach them."

     "babe, they're pretty high up-"