1. Happy Day of Peace

May 2028

"How did we get to this point?" an older man asks his two younger accomplices when he steps out of the bus and sees the tumultuous protests that take place. 

The demonstration is against the celebration of the Day of Peace. One hundred, maybe two, people hold signs and shout. No peace while deviants live. #notmypresident. Some also hold a photo of a young woman, Emily Roberts, her green eyes are covered with red ink.

Despite the disturbance, the line of people expecting to make it to the ceremony moves peacefully. The city hall employees make sure that everyone who has a ticket passes the gates.

"Hatred," the younger man replies dryly.

They keep their heads down while passing by and stand as close to each other as they can.

"We used to be considered extraordinary beings. The closest we had to gods walking on Earth. Now we're nothing more than genetic mistakes," the younger man continues.

 "When you fight for your freedom. You stir the pan," the woman whispers.

"I think you mean pot," the younger man says.

They raise their heads when they finally make it to the entrance of the park.

"Happy Day of Peace!" They show their tickets to the employee.

The park raves and buzzes with all the energy. People talk happily, families gather and there are a lot of distinct smells on that beautiful spring morning. There's popcorn, cotton candy, and chocolates being sold. And to their surprise, also traditional foods from deviants.

Naturally, there is no such thing as deviants' food. The only thing they share is a genetic modification, which affects a minority of the world's population. They have no cultural heritage in common and are as diverse as humans. Another misguided effort from the president of the United States of America to work toward acceptance.

The gene has always existed. Why it never become dominant is a matter of much research and has shown no increase in numbers as years go by. Scientists around the world have tried to reproduce it, but have failed. Since 1980s that there is a test for newborns to determine if they have it, even though it only manifests when the children turn seven. An enhanced immunity in all cases, and in some also an ability.

Those three are not guests of honor. In fact, they are infamous deviant terrorists. If anyone recognizes them, they would be immediately arrested. Nonetheless, here they are. In disguise, obviously. Not with the hats and sunglasses, those are only because it's a scorching day. But by using the ability of one of them, body shifting.

The older man is actually Megan Grant, or as she is known, the Angel of Death. Rachel Moore, the leader of the terrorists, is disguised as the younger man. And Diego Álvarez chose to hide his identity as the woman. 

They slowly walk up to the stage, which is on the eastern end of the park, nearby many residential buildings.

Children run by. With t-shirts with the face of the young woman that the protests held. A band plays, the first deviant-human band from the United States of America. Social media fills with hateful comments and as soon as they are posted, they are immediately deleted.

"Such an amazing show!" the presenter congratulates as the band walks off the stage, "please give your warmest welcome to the president of the United States of America, the president of the Institute, Madeleine Clark! And... Emily Roberts!"

They walk up to the stage and everyone in the audience cheers. The three terrorists pretend to be excited as well and clap.

Emily Roberts waves enthusiastically with her right hand, in her wrist there's a blue bracelet similar to a smart watch.