13. Rivers have meanders

October 2019

For two weeks now, Ánh would enter the lobby, look around, wait for ten minutes, and then give up. Today is no different; Abigail is a no show. She doesn't pick up the phone or answer any texts. More than worried, Ánh feels abandoned and alone for the first time in years.

Sông có khúc, người có lúc. She keeps repeating the proverb trying to believe it. Rivers have meanders, human life has phases.

Determined to change her situation, it's time to make new friends. The dormitory seems like the safest bet. But as she enters the living rooms, and hears people laughing and looking at her, right away she assumes that they are making fun of her.

In fact, they aren't even acknowledging the girl, but as she gets more anxious, and draws attention to herself, then people will either get worried or just find her weird. Either way, she always ends up running away and secludes herself as much as she can.

After several failed tries, she gave up and found herself a new hobby to occupy her day after the classes. When she hid in the bathroom, she heard some older students talking about the deviants' forum. Accessible only by invite. Ánh is set to find her way in without needing anyone else.

The older girls' obsession with her grew. They follow her around most days. All wearing the same outfit. The newest humans' trend. One makes her drop her things, kick it to another while commenting how dirty everything she owns is.

Emily Roberts passes by. Ánh hopes that she'll help her. Even though they aren't friends, Emily and Abigail are, and that should matter. Emily's also the most popular girl in the Institute, whatever she says is obeyed, her being the world's most powerful deviant and all. All she has to do is tell them to back off.

Ánh looks at her, but Emily ignores her. Instead, she greets her classmates and uses her ability to throw one of Ánh 's books against the wall.

Only when Ánh is by herself, in her room, does she let the tears out. Abigail used to be her safe haven, but not anymore. She holds it in throughout most of her day, and even smiles whenever she video calls her parents.

She keeps focused on entering the deviants' forum. Even with her enhanced intelligence, she's still struggling to find her way in. Her side effects are the most severe she has experienced until then, but it doesn't stop her from continuing to push her ability to the limit. 

I won't give up.

Her eyes twitch uncontrollably. It's already six in the morning, when the impossible happens. She's in. The first thing she notices are the several posts signed by the movement for the liberation of rights of deviants. The terrorists that she's seen on the news.

***

One month has gone by, and Ánh decides that, no matter how hard it seems in her head, she has to ask Emily about Abigail.

Emily leaves theInstitute with Aminu. She sees them in a distance and walks faster to catchthem.

"I just don't understand, you know? You don't need glasses. Why use it?" Aminu repeats the question thinking that Emily hadn't heard him the first time.

"Aminu, for heaven's sake! You have no sense of fashion with your ridiculous clothes. I mean," she points to his hoodie, "what is this? A stupid dog?"

"This is art! It's by an artist named-"

"Please don't! Stop boring everyone to death with the rambling. This technique, this artist or whatever else you obsess over. You just don't get it", Emily stops immediately when Ánh steps in front of her.