15. Pawns in their games

June 2028

Except for the president of the United States of America, all the other members are already ready to meet in the hotel room.

The younger people, the advisors, discuss their investments, mentioning how much they've made and comparing amongst themselves their wins.

Padma and Marianne chat while admiring the view on this summer afternoon.

Aymee Ortiz, Marianne's advisor, scrolls through the feed of her socials, and the older members argue about the latest players on the political scene and what changes they can expect in the next election.

"I appreciate your availability to be here. Marianne, have the newest specimens arrived?" Edward Hall, the head of the Council, asks.

Aymee hands Marianne the names of the children that were diverted from the Institute, and she confirms it.

"Did we really go ahead with the international specimens? If Eurasia finds out-" Saif says.

"Saif, this isn't open to discussion anymore. Your point of view was perfectly clear when we voted. We don't have that many specimens available to begin with, and making children go unnoticed is no easy feat. Eurasia won't find out. Laurence, I assume their cover is taken care of," Edward faces him.

"Yes, we have our systems identifying the specimens' pattern of speech and using it to send messages to their families. Also, we made up several photos of them in the Institute," Laurence Pierce, the head of the department of strategy and damage control answers.

"Great. What about the bracelet, Saif? It didn't work as we thought it would on the Day of Peace," Edward turns to Saif, facing him.

"Emily's levels are extraordinary, sir," Thomas smiles widely.

Marianne makes an effort not to roll her eyes.

"The bracelet must work on everyone. Our number one included," Edward shuts down any further discussion about Emily.

"Sir, I was against the use of the bracelet on the Day of Peace." Saif jots some ideas down.

"There are goals we need to achieve. Fast," Edward notices the disappointment on the president's face.

"Scientifical developments take time," Saif continues to write down.

"With the resources available, it really shouldn't," the president taps her hand on the table repeatedly and sends a fuming look to Edward.

"We understand and appreciate the effort that your team has been making. But we need it done. The strategic team is developing a plan and for it to succeed, we need the bracelet to work. All deviants will use it on the first day of the next school year," Edward promises.

"That's impossible!" Saif raises his voice.

Padma's entire body stiffs behind Saif, she notices that most advisors are trembling. The older members on the table seem to be much calmer, at least on the outside.

"Don't underestimate yourself. Surely you'll find a way," Edward smiles.

After other discussions, their meeting ends and they part ways except for Saif, Marianne, Aymee, and Padma that stay in the room each on their own.

"How will we do it until August? It's impossible and I'm tired of this!" Saif approaches the windows and looks over the city.

"Do you want my team to help you out?" Marianne comes closer to him.

"Aren't you tired, Marianne? All this nonsense, these strategic plans we know nothing about..."

Marianne takes a few short breaths.