03

What's this man's matter? I haven't done anything wrong! Have I? I've only just met him, how have I done anything wrong. Were currently at the dining table, George is next to me on my left. Laura is opposite George and Hakan is opposite me. I occasionally look at him, admire his beauty. The way his fluffy black hair drags down his forehead; the way his lips curve at the top and grow in size as you go around the lip.

His eyebrows furrow. Shit, he just caught me staring. He probably thinks I'm a weirdo. I mean he wouldn't be wrong, but it still hurts to hear. "What?" His deep masculine voice says. His voice makes the silent room boom with dominance and aggression. "Wha...umm...nothing." I shoot my head back down to my plate, and start fidgeting with my food. Looking to my left, I see George with a slight smile on his face, knowing that I am scared of his brother.

From then on throughout the dinner, I made casual conversation with Laura and George, but I avoided Hakan's gaze throughout it. Too scared to even look up, I pretty much stayed silent until Laura begins talking, "So Athalia, beautiful name by the way, what are you doing in University?" I love getting complimented, it happens rarely, but it affects me so much when they do say something nice. All the compliments I've got is 'You look so ugly today Athalia, did you forget to put your makeup on?' But by the end of High school, I kind of got used to being called fat and ugly.

All my family called me fat, but when I stopped eating for weeks straight, they ask me what's happened or if I'm feeling okay. They never once thought that they were the ones causing it. My mum is copying with my dad's death, she's been on a couple dates and one night stands, but half the time she comes back home drunk with the man holding her around the waist, holding her upright. Every-time a new man walks through the front door, I feel embarrassed and disappointed. She's suppose to be a mom to her 2 kids and realise that we lost dad too, yet she can't get that in her mind.

Bringing my mind back to reality, I see them all staring at me awaiting a response, "Oh, I do English Lit, I am just obsessed with the way we use language techniques to express ourselves and emotions." Laura smiles at me proudly or in admiration. "That's beautiful, I've never thought about language that way." I smile back at her, letting her know that I am always here and that her thoughts are open to the table. "What about your friends, what are they like?" I raise my eyebrows and look at George.

His eyebrows too are raised, and he's stopped eating. "Oh, well they're okay, some are crazy and push me to do things out of my comfort zone. But some are perfect and I love them to bits." I directly look towards George while saying that, and he too is looking at me. Facing back to the centre of the table, I see Hakan giving me dirty looks from across the table. What's his problem?

Time passes, and I'm strolling into the kitchen, Hakan is there washing dishes. "Do you need any help cleaning up?" He doesn't turn around to acknowledge my presence he just says in his usual, dull voice "Does it look like I need help?" Seeing the dishes stacking up after he's washed them, I take the response as a yes. I walk over to the sink and grab a tee-towel from the counter; start doing some dishes.

We stood there in complete silence, his figure towered over me as he constantly passed me bowels and plates from lunch. "May I ask you a question?" I ask him, not wanting to annoy him any further than I apparently have. "No." He says direct and strict. Throwing my shoulders back, trying to pull the confident look he is doing, I continue speaking. "Why do you hate me for?" Tapping the tap down, making the water come to a halt, he turns to face me.

Looking up to him, his eyes are like grey swirls of power, any woman or man would cower underneath his wrath, but I don't for some reason. For some reason, I felt like challenging him and not backing down. "I do hate you, because your a stranger and you've been welcomed into my home. My personal space, the space where my family lives. I don't know what dangers you may possess, and what act you have going on, but I have my guards up and if you do cause any type of trouble, I will grip your throat and slowly see your body go purple from the lack of oxygen." The saliva gets stuck in my throat, making me want to clear my throat. "So to avoid that stay out of my way and annoy your boyfriend instead."

Furrowing my eyebrows, "Whose my boyfriend? I don't have a boyfriend?" His stare on me loosens. "George isn't your boyfriend?" I shake my head. He nods, "Nice." He then walks off, leaving me to finish drying the dishes and putting them away. After I finally finished spending what felt like an hour putting all the utensils away, trying to find their home, I walk upstairs exhausted. Instead of going into my room, I decide to go into the room opposite mine. The room was dark and no color could be seen inside. The light was off but there was a slight light coming from somewhere inside.

Slowly, I twist the door handle but I get pushed back by a larger presence. "Hey, watch it!" I yelp. "Don't ever go in there Athalia, you will be killed." My curiosity grows by the second. "Why, this doesn't make sense. Why would I get killed for walking into a room? Why is everyone saying that I will get killed for? I haven't done anything wrong. And I'm pretty sure it's illegal to kill someone." George sighs and backs away from me. "You won't understand."

"What, what won't I understand? George, you can tell me. You can trust me." I say while walking up to him and stroking his arm. "My family isn't a normal family Athalia, were..." He was about to finish his sentence, when he looks down the hallway and sees Hakan standing watching him with his deadly gaze. His jaw is gritted and he is slowly shaking his head no. George looks back at me, "I just can't tell you, you won't understand."

I hear hard footsteps getting and closer the minute, then I feel Hakan's presence next to me. "Do I need to tell you what would happen if you get involved too much?" My body turns to face Hakan, turning my full attention to him. "Hold on, let me guess...you'll kill me? Why do you keep telling me that your going to kill me, you will be sentenced to jail, because it's ILLEGAL." I raise my voice on the word illegal, but not too loud in case Laura over hears the commotion and wants to find out what's happening. "I think you should catch the next flight back, you don't belong here."

I look back at George, and his eyebrows are furrowed at his brother. "No, Hakan she is my guest and we only have 2 days until mother's funeral, you can put up and not try to kill her for 2 simple days. Aren't you that mature?" When Hakan clenches his jaw, it becomes more defined and sharp making him look tens times more attractive. What is it with this man?

"Now, both of you go to bed before I change my mind and kill you both." With speed, George and I go our separate ways and head to bed. I couldn't be arsed to have a shower, so I got changed and I went to bed. Both me and George went to sleep early today, since we are jet lagged. 6:43pm.
_____________

Thankyou for reading. If your enjoying the book so far, remember to follow me here on wattpad. You can search 'Athalia and Hakan' on Spotify to hear their book playlist.