Chapter 21: She Chose a Word

Firefly grunted, rolling through the darkness. The familiar feeling of clay beneath her hand made her realize exactly where they were. Zenthara.

Quickly, the girl climbed to her feet and glared into the darkness, searching for any sign of her enemy. She found none.

"What could you possibly need me here for?" Firefly demanded, "You have killed my mother, my father, and everyone else here! Why must you kill me too!? Is death the only thing that captivates your life!?"

"Death..." Dærkishman hummed, "is the only way for me to reach my one true goal. You know it well, don't you?"

Firefly sneered, "I have no idea how a twisted mind like yours could ever work."

"Funny. I'm almost certain our reasons for doing what we do are the same."

Firefly scoffed, "Doubtful."

She felt something brush across her back and Firefly whirled around, swinging her sword through empty air.

"Do you remember when we were younger, and we dreamed of the day that we would be the guardians of Zenthara?" Dærkishman asked, "Just you and I, ruling the cosmos?"

Firefly frowned.

He laughed, "Well I have brought to life our deepest desires! With your parents gone, you and I are at the top of the foodchain! With that sword, you can move suns! I can encase worlds in darkness! Together, we are the most powerful pair in the galaxy."

Firefly's face twisted in horror.

Dærkishman suddenly grabbed ahold of her wrist, where she was holding her sword. He squeezed it just enough so that she could not pull away or move it.

"Firefly, dear, all I've ever wanted was for you to be my Queen." He whispered, "And every other man on Zenthara is dead, so how can you resist me?"

"You're delusional." Firefly snarled, "I would rather mate with Megatron than you."

"Perfect!" Dærkishman exclaimed, "You know, love is for those who live in the light, so it seems fitting that for those of us in the dark, we embrace more... diverse tactics. Hate seems reasonable."

Firefly felt herself be yanked inward, "Although, hate might only come from your side of the family. I have to admit that my obsession with you has lasted far too long to change direction now."

Firefly felt cold lips ram into hers and she yanked back, forcefully shoving him away from her. Laughter echoed around the abyss and Firefly wiped her face in disgust.

"Dærkishman." Firefly looked skyward, "If you want me, then you're going to have to have all of me."

The sword in her hand glowed, and the laughter quieted.

"You wouldn't dare," Dærkishman growled.

The world brightened and the temperature rose. Firefly raised an eyebrow, "Wouldn't I?"

"You will destroy Zenthara!" Dærkishman bellowed, "You will destroy our home!"

"You have already tarnished it!" Firefly yelled, "I am cleansing it of your filth!"

Dærkishman lunged forward and Firefly slid her blade through the air at his outline. The sun grew into existence in the sky, bearing down on the planet as Firefly pulled it closer, relighting the world.

"Stop it!" Dærkishman screeched, pulling out a scythe and charging her.

Firefly's blade clashed and sparked against his, "You want to do things differently? Why don't we try doomed?"