Chapter 34

Jules

“Penny for your thoughts?”

“Jules?”

“Sorry, what?” I say.

“What has you so distracted?” Ethan says.

“Nothing.”

“It must be something. Yesterday you seemed excited about leaving campus, in fact you said you have always wanted to have a proper picnic. But today you have barely said a word since we left campus.” he says.

I sigh. “The thing is I met Tiago’s mom last night and I…I am confused.”

“You met Aunt Marina?”

“She is your aunt?”

“She is one of mom’s closest friends, more like sisters really so I have always called her that.”

“Oh okay. The thing is she looks exactly like my mom. Well an older version of her.”

“Didn’t you say she died when you were three?”

“Exactly, which is why this is so confusing. Tiago’s mother looks like her, is the same age and has the same name. But her last name is different though, we had the same last name Ortiz but Mrs. Ramirez’s maiden name is Marina Herrera not Marina Ortiz.” I say.

“So were you thinking that she is maybe your mom?” Ethan asks gently.

“No…I know she died but there are just so many similarities…” I trail off. Ethan gives my hand a squeeze.

“It’s just wishful thinking. I know she is not my mom. For one she has a different last name and Tiago is less than half a year younger than me. She can’t be the same person. She is either a long lost twin or a doppelganger.”

That’s the only reasonable explanation. Nothing else makes sense. Now I just need to convince myself.

The next day I run into Tiago right before lunch.

“Hey can I ask you a weird question?” I ask.

“Sure…”

“Has your mom ever changed her last name?”

Tiago gives me a weird look but answers anyway.“She hasn’t officially changed it to Ramirez, that’s just what people call her. She still goes by her maiden name on paper which is Herrera.”

“So Herrera has always been her last name?”

“Yeah. Why do you ask?”

“Oh she just looks like someone I know but with a different name. Does she have a twin or something?” I ask.

“She is an only child, as far as I know. Its possible grandad has some secret kids besides her but definitely no twin.” Tiago says.

“Okay.”

That eliminates the twin theory, I guess she’s a doppelganger then.

“The person who looks like her, where do you know her from?” he asks.

“She was my…my social worker.”

🌾🌾🌾🌾🌾🌾🌾🌾🌾🌾🌾

A/N

Thank you for reading this short update!

Next week's will be longer and from Patrick's pov.

Let me know what you thought of the chapter. Don't forget to vote!
- Oli 💌