CHAPTER 16: ROSE

1 hour, 32 Minutes and 15 Seconds
1 hour, 32 Minutes and 16 Seconds
1 hour, 32 Minutes and 17 seconds-

Stop counting, it's annoying.

I can't stop. It's been an hour, 32 Minutes and 18 seconds since the doctors took Ryan to the operation room and every second is longer than I expected.

The nurses told me to wait outside and that they'll tell me the news as soon as possible but I haven't gotten any and it's making me worried.

I haven't even told Bree about this. Ryan told me not to.

What if the surgery fails And I have to explain everything to her? She will never forgive me. She couldn't say goodbye to Jack and now bcz of me, she won't be able to say goodbye to Ryan.

Don't think like that.
Ryan will be okay.
He's going to live.

I squeezed my eyes shut trying to think as positive as I could.

The last time I was this nervous was when dad died.

The doctor said that dad might not make it the whole night.

He has been diagnosed with cancer for over a year. The time he got was a miracle but now the doctors are sure he won't be able to make it.

I'm sitting beside dad holding his hand while hearing to his breaths knowing he's still here.

"Rose," I hear him whisper, I lean closer so I can hear him "my dear Rose,"

"I'm here," I whispered, gently squeezing his hand "I'm not leaving," I placed a soft kiss on his hand as he tilted his head towards me, slowly opening his eyes.

I looked at him and he gave me a weak smile, using his left over strength to squeeze my hand.

"Honey," he started "promise me that you'll be okay."

I stared at him. He told Ryan to take care of me, he knows that I'll be safe as long as I'm with him. I don't understand...

"I promise," I said and gave him a reassuring smile "I'll be okay,"

He didn't smile at that. He looked worried.. guilty..

His breathing started getting heavier, he closed his eyes.

"I'm sorry," he whispered. I stayed quiet for a bit then when I opened my mouth to ask him what he was sorry for, I felt his grip loosen in my hand.

I, then noticed the beep sound on his monitor.

I sat frozen, holding his hand, staring at his soulless body.

A tear escaped my eye when the realization hit.

He was gone.

I opened my eyes again to find them getting teary, I wiped them with my sleeves.

I get a lot of flashbacks of my parent's death and it scares me to death.

Dad was guilty about something before he died and he apologized.

But even after 2 years of his death, I still don't know what he was sorry for.

I have things he gave, I was scared to open because he looked scared when he handed it to me. I still have them hidden in my closet, scared to open them.

I'm scared those things might contain the truth to why he used his last words to apologize to me. And I'm scared, my love towards him might change after I find out the truth.

-----♡-----

It's been 2 hours. I'm staring at the ceiling with my head back on the chair when I hear footsteps approaching me.

I quickly lift my head up to see a doctor walking towards me. He's the different doctor to whom I talked to. He's wearing a blank expression.

I stand up trembling, scared whether I'll get a good news or bad.

He stops few steps away from me and says "Mrs Hartford?" I nod. He puts his hand inside his pockets, I tighten my grip around my phone as he releases a sigh. "The surgery was successful," a pause and he smiles "your husband is okay now,"

I take a moment for the words to sink in.

The surgery was successful.
Your husband is okay now.

Ryan's okay..

I didn't loose him.

I find myself smiling as a tear escapes my eye "thank you," I whispered.

He nods "we're shifting him in another room, he's asleep for now but you can see him as soon as he's shifted,"

"Okay,"

He nodded then walked away.

I closed my eye clutching my phone to my chest.

He's okay. He's okay. He's okay.

I let myself sob in relief.

I didn't loose him. He's okay.

I keep repeating it because for the first time, the hospital gave me a good news. I didn't loose someone I care about.