CHAPTER 19: ROSE

Bree was pretty upset with the thought that we didn't tell her about Ryan's condition.

She even ignored me for few days, I cleared my name saying that I told Ryan to tell her.

I might sound mean but I love her too much, I don't want her to hate me.

And as for Ryan, he can make it up to her.

He's doing it right now.

Bree is in the kitchen cutting potatoes while Ryan is standing behind her trying to apologize. Finn is standing beside me holding Sarah while we watch the show.

Bree's so good.

"Bree, would you stop giving me a cold shoulder?" Ryan said standing behind Bree while she was cutting vegetables

Bree ignored Ryan and continued cutting vegetables with much force then before, I pressed my lips together so that I don't make a sound.

Ryan sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose "What will make you forgive me?"

Bree picked up the platter of vegetables and walked towards the stove. She silently poured the vegetables in the pot and covered it.

She turned back without looking at Ryan and walked towards the counter again to tidy it up.

"Bree, I said I'm sorry" Ryan said, he has been apologizing since we stepped in but Bree didn't answer him once. Im starting to feel bad for Ryan.

"I'll do anything you want," Ryan said with a sigh.

Bree paused halfway cleaning the counter and a little smirked appeared on her lips, she turned her head towards him "anything?"

"Yes," Ryan said

Bree straightened up and started folding the cloth. "honey, do we still have the doughnuts from last night?"

Finn froze realizing what Bree meant, Ryan started glaring towards Bree's hand and it was hard for me to hold my laugh. Sarah giggled.

"Yeah...?" Finn said

"Great. Ryan would like one," Bree said with an innocent smile

"No, I don't." Ryan said, Bree turned to him folding her arms "I don't eat sweets. Especially doughnuts."

Ryan despises sweets, I hated it when he first confessed. What kind of a guy doesn't like sweets? Oh right, Ryan Hartford.

"You said you'd do anything," Bree said

Ryan pressed his lips together as if muffling a curse, Bree walked towards the fridge and I could feel her grin as she took out the box of doughnuts, she walked towards the counter and opened the box.

"Which one do you want?" She asked, innocently.

Ryan took a step forward "you have the most disgusting flavors."

"Jelly Doughnut it is,"

I covered my mouth to muffle my laugh. Bree took out the jelly filled doughnut and placed it on the plate. Ryan glared at it as if he faced his worst enemy.

"Go ahead," Bree said, leaning against the counter, Finn walked towards the counter holding Sarah.

Ryan looked at Bree "from all the things you could've asked me to do. You chose this."

"Yes because you said anything." She said "I'm a simple girl,"

"Eat it!" Finn cheered, Ryan glared at Finn but it didn't bother him.

Ryan glanced towards me while I was still covering my mouth.

Ryan looked at the doughnut and sighed. He picked up the donut, he stared at it for quite a moment then took a bite bigger than I expected.

His expression was blank as he chewed but then he froze. Doughnut in his hand, eyes locked with mine. I slowly removed my hand from mouth, Finn leaned closer to read Ryan's expression so did Bree.

Finn and Bree exchanged a glance, even Sarah was staring at Ryan so attentively.

The next thing we know, Ryan put away the doughnut, grabbed a napkin and spit out the doughnut mumbling curse words. Bree started yelling at him for cursing in front of Sarah while Finn tried covering Sarah's ears and Sarah just giggled.

I stood frozen then broke into a laugh.

-----♡-----

Ryan hated the taste of the jelly. He felt like throwing up.

At least it was worth it, Bree forgave him. And honestly the scene was pretty fun to watch.

Now, Bree and Finn were upstairs putting Sarah to bed for her nap and I was handing Ryan a glass of water to drink.

"It wasn't that bad," I said

"It was disgusting." He said "how do you eat it?"

"Because we're normal people, we can handle sweets." I said

Ryan rolled his eyes and chugged down the water and I couldn't stop from noticing how his Adam's apples moved.

After he was done, we both looked at each other, locking eyes.

I noticed how his eyes moved and rested their gaze on my lips. I found myself licking my lips and the side of his lip curved into a small smirk.

He looked away, that little smirk still on his lips as he spoke "wanna leave? We'll get takeouts," he said

It took me a minute to let his words sink in. For some reason, his stare makes my mouth dry up and I'm suddenly a mute.

Ryan has changed since we came back from the hospital. I find him staring at me whenever I'm doing something like cooking or reading and whenever I lock eyes with him, the side of his lip curves into a small smile. It's really hard to notice but it's there.

He even started spending more time at home. He asks me about my day, the books I've read, what I want to do.

He has made small kind gestures and very sweet gestures which makes me think maybe he's trying to make the marriage work.

But then Hannah's words, the night of our little dinner when he suddenly changed from being flirty to cold and the sad truth of him not believing in love tears me apart.

I cleared my throat and replied to his question "I already cooked dinner at home,"

Ryan is not the kind of man to fall in love. Especially not with me.

It hurts but it's the truth.