Introduction to nevermore

Word count - 1507
Leaving Enid behind, I rushed through the door of Nevermore Academy, feeling the heavy weight of the gloomy atmosphere surround me. As I entered the courtyard, I approached a girl with glasses and inquired about the whereabouts of the Principal. She informed me that the Principal was waiting for me, causing my throat to tighten and my mouth to go dry with nerves.

Summoning my courage, I made my way to the Principal's office. Upon opening the door, I found a woman with white hair seated behind a formidable wooden desk in a leather chair. I introduced myself and extended my hand, but she rose from her seat and walked over to me.

Weems: "No need for such formality, Ernst. I don't believe in rigid protocols. Treat me as an equal, and I will extend the same courtesy to you."

Ernst: "Rest assured, my respect and courtesy will not be called into question. You have nothing to worry about."

Weems: "I am certain of that. You seem disciplined and confident. I hope you enjoy your time at Nevermore Academy. Xavier will be your guide and roommate."

Ernst: "Is that all, Madam?"

Weems: "One more thing, please don't break Enid's heart. She has become more open and hopeful since meeting you. And her mother assures me that if you were to break her heart, you wouldn't be able to hide."

Ernst: "Yes, Madam."

Slowly, I closed the door behind me, clutching my uniform tightly in hand. I made my way to the changing room, where I realized I would have to trade my boots for dress shoes. I couldn't carry my concealed knife with the uniform regulations in place. Resigned to this, I disassembled my Beretta, removing the firing pin and discreetly disposing of it in the vents. Unarmed, I left the changing room and stepped into the courtyard, where I noticed Enid engaged in conversation with Wednesday.

Just as I was about to approach Enid, Xavier emerged from around a corner, intercepting me and assuming the role of my tour guide.

Xavier: "Hey, I'm Xavier. You must be my new roommate. Welcome to Tamerlane Hall. I'm sure you'll have no trouble fitting in. I wish you had arrived earlier."

Ernst: "And why is that?"

Xavier: "You seem physically fit and strong. Let me show you our dorm."

Ernst: "It's a very nice room. I assume the left side is mine, judging by the lack of personalization."

Xavier: "Yes, the left side is yours, and the right side is mine. Please make sure your belongings stay on your side. Your bathroom is at the back, and your closet and bed are to your left. During school hours and in common areas, we are required to wear our school uniforms. Fridays are a bit more lenient. That's about it."

Ernst: "Why did you mention earlier that you wished I had arrived sooner? And what's this about the Poe cup?"

Xavier: "We lost the annual Poe cup, and it's partly because my teammates are weak. You would have made a difference."

Ernst: "I see. I apologize for not being there to help. Is there anything else I need to know?"

Xavier: "You have seven periods. I can give you a rundown if you'd like."

Ernst: "Please do."

Xavier proceeded to inform me about each of the seven periods, detailing the classes and their respective subjects. As he finished, he excused himself, leaving me alone in the dorm room.

Xavier's departure left me alone in the dorm room, faced with the stark contrast between my side and his. While Xavier's area boasted art posters and scattered music discs, it appeared disorganized and in need of cleaning. In contrast, my side seemed devoid of any personal touch, lacking the vibrancy and personality that Xavier's side possessed.