15| Lost keys

The casting sun spreads a dark orange halo on the trees surrounding the backyard of the Usmani villa, the orange glare reflecting on the water in the pool, making it appear the same colour

But that wasn't what catches my attention. It's the person standing near the pool, a small smile on her face as she records the decorations of the lawn.

If someone asks me about something related to today's event, all I'd say is Minahil.

Because I didn't saw, heard, anything or anyone, her presence was enough to blur the whole room.

Her family was here, I couldn't risk continuously staring at her, but I couldn't help it. She just looked so damn pretty.

She wore a soft pink long gown, with soft embroidery on it, the softness of her outfit, her face, her open hairs, her smile, everything about her is so angelic.

While watching her, I become alert as she kept inching back near the pool, instinctively my feet neared her, in case she needs me. And I was right on my feet as her feet inched back and she lost her balance. With quick long strides, I reach towards her and grab her arm, hauling her up and moving her away from the pool.

She gasps as I pull her away. Her eyes fixated on my face, and on my hold.

"Careful!" I say still holding her wrist.

Colour flushes on her pale face as she looks at my hold and back to the event going on through the sliding doors.

Hastily she moves away from me and I take a step back too. "Sorry, I forgot we were.." I trail off, not knowing what to say.

"Thank you." She mutters and runs back inside as now it was time for rukhsati, Irhaa was already out with Hasnain. So no one bats eye when we both join everyone out in the front lawn where Irhaa was crying hugging Hajra.

Like a magnet, my eyes went back on her, she was standing beside her mother, she looked distracted first but when Irhaa cried hugging her baba, tears rolled down her face.

Heck, I could barely control my own.

To say I was shocked to the core after knowing it was Irhaa who Hasnain was getting married, I mean I always suspected he liked her, and now he even married her, even though they had this whole arranged marriage he still got her.

I had known Irhaa since five years, the day I saw her crying, hiding behind Farhan, barely speaking, flinching at every possible sound to now, she looks confident now, like I don't give a shit type. But she still has that hint of vulnerability in her, she couldn't hide that even if she wanted too. That's her specialty.

I take out a few tissues from my pocket and pass it to Hajra, she takes the tissue and gives me a chuckle, wiping her tears.

As expected on meeting with them, I was punched again, by Hajra. Bilal was just plain shock. I missed her actually. We used to banter a lot but she was a lot like Maryam baji, a lot less stern yet she always looked after me like a big sister.