1.1

❝Memory is the diary we all carry about with us

OSCAR WILDE

1.1 : restless sleep

OR

season 4, episode 3 : minimal loss

BENJAMIN CYRUS, BORN JUNE 22, 1971. CULT LEADER, SELF-PROCLAIMED PROPHET, AND NOW ACCUSED RAPIST. And he reminds Fin way too much of her mother.

She's sitting at a table across from his fifteen-year-old wife, currently undercover as a CPS representative, trying to reason with this girl and figure out why in the world she married this creep.

"Jessica, you're fifteen years old," Spencer says from Fin's left. "The state of Colorado requires parental consent." He's slicked his hair back today; it's a new style he's tried out recently. Fin likes it; it reminds her of old photos she's seen of Elvis in the '50s, although Spencer's definitely not Elvis.

To Fin's right, Emily narrows her eyes at Jessica's mother, then says, "She gave consent."

And the door bursts open. Men with guns rush into the room, led by none other than Benjamin Cyrus, shouting at them to stand up. Fin looks up at Spencer, eyes wide, and he just shakes his head, telling her he has no idea what's going on.

The woman they came in with, a redheaded CPS agent worker named Nancy, frowns. "What's going on?"

A burly man with a bad buzzcut pats Spencer down, then moves to Fin. She closes her eyes tightly, trying to ignore the way his hands linger on her hips. Gross. Beside her, Spencer shifts his weight, but keeps his eyes on Cyrus.

"We just got a very strange phone call from a news reporter," Cyrus says quietly, although Fin can hear the menace in his voice. "Is there anything you want to tell me? About a raid, maybe?"

Emily's mouth drops open. Fin's shocked, too. There was nothing said to them about a raid.

Hotch stands up when he sees Emily, Fin, and Spencer in his doorway. "Come in. I have a special assignment for you three."

"What is it?" Fin asks, perching on the arm of the chair in front of his desk.

"There's a cult ranch in Colorado run by a man named Benjamin Cyrus. A 911 call was made a few days ago by a young girl, claiming to have been raped by him. CPS called us. Seems like this guy has a history of this type of thing. I want you three to go in, undercover as CPS workers, and find out if these claims are real."

"Is it safe? I mean, you remember Waco, right?" Emily asks, her eyebrows raised.

Fin definitely remembers Waco. In 1993, ATF raided a Branch Davidian compound, and the standoff afterward lasted 51 days. The FBI tried to intervene, but ultimately, they ended up burning the compound to the ground, killing seventy-six of the Davidians and wounding eleven. It was messy.