2.6

❝We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are

ANAÏS NIN

2.6 : it's okay to be broken

(tw: mentions of drug abuse, old trauma)

THERE WAS ANOTHER JAR OF FLOWERS TWO NIGHTS LATER. Spencer and Fin had an argument that morning about whether or not to mention it to the rest of the team, and they compromised on telling Penelope to do a background check on Nick and see if anything fishy's been going on in the past few weeks.

It's strange, living with someone and pretending like it's not happening. No one at the BAU knows that Spencer's been sleeping at Fin's apartment; they don't talk about it, they take separate cars to and from the office, and overall, it's like they're completely different people when they're at her apartment.

Fin's got Spencer hooked on Gilmore Girls (you bet he loves Rory), and they spend the evenings either watching that with a bowl of popcorn between them, playing chess (which is Spencer teaching Fin and then destroying her), or reading quietly, pressed into opposite corners of Fin's old sofa and sharing a blanket. Their relationship is so much more intimate now, and yet completely the same. Fin's not sure what to make of it.

He's slept on the couch since that night.

They were planning on telling Penelope that morning, but then JJ and Hotch briefed the team on the reappearance of the Boston Reaper after the death of a detective who'd made a deal with him. The case was up and down, and the only surviving victim, a man named George Foyet, turned out to actually be the unsub-a very narcissistic unsub who only wanted the fame that came from his killing.

They arrested him and put him in prison, but he escaped, and now everyone's on edge. But Spencer won't let Fin forget about Nick.

"Do you want to tell Garcia or do you want me to?" asks Spencer now, holding the BAU door open for Fin.

"I think I should do it," Fin says, running a hand through her hair. "But you can come with me, if you want."

And so they walk together toward Penelope's cave, brushing shoulders occasionally. Fin knocks on the open door, peeking inside. "Knock knock!"

Penelope spins around in her chair, holding a steaming mug of tea in her hands, and smiles at them cheerily. "Hey, cuties. It's kind of late, why haven't you left yet?"

"Penna, can I ask a favor?" Fin asks, leaning against her desk and pulling her sweater sleeves over her hands. It's been a long time since she's done this, needed the comfort of an old habit, and the realization of it almost knocks the breath out of her.