2.0

❝Nothing makes us so lonely as our secrets

PAUL TOURNIER

2.0 : chat rooms & self-help ads

OR

season 4, episode 9 : 52 pickup

CARNATIONS. NATIVE TO THE MEDITERRANEAN REGION. Originally a purple-pink color, but cultivated for other colors, including red, pink, white, and most pertinently, orange. First mentioned in Greek literature 2,000 years ago.

Formerly Hazel Finley's favorite flower.

She's received two more bouquets since then, again without a note or a card, and each time, they make her nauseous. Nick is stalking her. He knows where she lives. Probably knows where she works. Who she works with.

Which is exactly why she hasn't told anyone. They'd probably fire her, and anyway, she doesn't want Nick knowing that everyone knows who he is. He's never done anything to her that she couldn't handle, and he's definitely not a serial killer, so as far as Fin's concerned, it's none of the BAU's business.

But she has to admit, it's added an extra level of stress after being handed all of JJ's duties as media liaison. She will never take JJ for granted again. After long days at the office, she'll come home, lock all of her doors, check every window, close every curtain, and then somehow eat something if she's not too exhausted.

You should tell someone, the quiet, innocent part of her brain whispers. But then the other side tells her that no one deserves to be burdened with all of her trauma, that once she tells them one thing, everything else will come spilling out, and they don't need that.

This is the side of her brain Fin prefers.

It makes everything easier.

This is also the side of her brain that tells her that she doesn't like Spencer Reid, that she's not attracted to his every move.

It's a hard lie to keep up, along with everything else.

Something's going to slip.

"Vanessa Holden, twenty-five," Fin says, clicking the button on JJ's remote to show pictures of the crime scene. This case gave her a shiver when she looked at the file first this morning. "Last Friday, she went to a nightclub with her sister Ashley. A stranger, white guy, around her age, showed up, and they left together at one a.m. to go back to her apartment. He forced her down onto her hands and knees-" She clicks the button again and winces- "and then he cut her open, just below the stomach."

Morgan, leaning back so far in his chair that Fin's surprised he hasn't fallen over, raises his eyebrows. "Whoa."

"Yeah, pretty rough," says Rossi, in the most chill tone of voice, like this is completely normal. (Which, to be fair, is sort of true.)