3.9

❝There are no secrets that time does not reveal

JEAN RACINE

3.9 : morgan's new office

OR

season 5, episode 6 : the eyes have it

"SO, DID ANYONE EXPLAIN WHY HOTCH IS STEPPING DOWN?" Penelope leans against Emily's desk, her voice low as she looks across the room, where Morgan's having a hushed conversation with Section Chief Erin Strauss.

Fin keeps her mouth shut, resting against Spencer's desk, his hand on her knee out of sight of the others. Hotch told her this morning that she should keep their conversation between them, that everyone else doesn't need to know just yet the details of Morgan's temporary promotion. As much as she hates to keep secrets from the rest of the team, she understands.

"All Morgan said this morning is that it's happening," JJ says quietly, leaning back in her chair. "And it's business as usual."

"So we're just supposed to move forward without any discussion?" Emily frowns.

"After Foyet, I think we'd have to be ready for anything," Spencer replies, shrugging.

As they watch, Hotch walks out of his office and over to Morgan and Strauss, who are now standing. They're still talking quietly, and Fin just hates this whole situation. She hates change in general, and especially the kind she's got to shut up and take.

Morgan looks past Strauss at them. "Guys," he says, voice raised. "Grab Rossi."

Fin hands Spencer his crutches, helps him stand up out of his chair, and they head into the conference room. JJ pulls up two photos, one of a white girl, the other a Filipino girl. Both are beautiful, both very young, both smiling. But this can't be good.

"This is Megan Chertow," JJ says, pointing to the white woman, "and her friend Bina Sukarto, both seventeen, found two nights ago in a parking garage, carotid severed."

She pulls up another photo, this one of an older, balding man. "And this is John O'Heron, sixty-one. He was found dead in a wooded area four days ago, blunt force trauma to the head."

"Different M.O.," Rossi says, frowning.

"And completely different victimology," Emily adds, nodding.

"How are the cases linked?" Rossi asks.

JJ winces, pulls up three more photos. Fin's immediately nauseous. "Their eyes have been removed."

Beside her, Spencer's eyes widen. "Ooh, he's an enucleator!"

"Two things, Spencer," Fin says, turning toward him. "One, why are you excited about this, and two, there's a name for this stuff?"