4.6

❝So violently do I know the world

RAINER MARIA RILKE

4.6 : in danger

OR

season 5, episode 16 : mosley lane

FIN IS SO TIRED. She hasn't slept more than three hours in the past few days, and when she does sleep, it's restlessly, filled with nightmares dominated by Esther and the things she could do to both Fin and the team. Fin would rather be awake and in control of her mind than dream about it.

But it's today, sitting in a chair, poring over files of missing children with Emily, the two a.m. news droning in the background, that Fin wishes she had slept more the night before. She yawns widely, struggling to keep her focus on the file in front of her.

"Uh, excuse me."

Fin looks up, the unfamiliar voice jarring her out of her stupor. There's a woman standing next to Emily, slightly disheveled and clutching at her sweater nervously. She smells vaguely of alcohol. "I'd like to talk to Agent Jareau," she says quietly.

"Uh, can we help you?" Emily asks, gesturing to Fin. Fin stands, pushing the file away from her, and joins Emily, slightly confused.

The woman pauses, biting her lip, and then says, "Whoever took Aimee Lynch took my son, too."

Emily opens her mouth to reply, closes it, and then looks over at Fin. Fin's not sure what to say or how to respond, but she knows one thing: It's worth looking at.

"Okay, Mrs...?" Fin realizes she never introduced herself.

"Hillridge," says the woman after a moment, as if only just realizing what Fin was asking.

"Mrs. Hillridge, why don't you stay here with Agent Prentiss, and I'll find Agent Jareau for you?"

Emily nods, so Fin hurries out of the office and down the hall to Penelope's lair. She knocks once, then pushes the door open. "Hey, JJ?"

Both JJ and Penelope turn around, eyebrows raised.

"There's a woman here who wants to talk to you," Fin says, closing the door behind her. "She says that her son was abducted by the same unsub who took Aimee."

Instead of looking surprised or even intrigued, JJ just sighs exasperatedly. "And she's been drinking?"

"Uh...I think she has been." Fin frowns. "Sorry, how do you know that?"

"It's Sarah Hillridge," JJ replies, shaking her head. "Her son Charlie went missing eight years ago. Every time a child around his age goes missing, she comes in, claiming it's the same abductor."