1.6

❝They slipped briskly into an intimacy from which they never recovered

❝They slipped briskly into an intimacy from which they never recovered.❞

F. SCOTT FITZGERALD

1.6 : just a nightmare

OR

season 4, episode 6 : the instincts

(random thing but i listened to "you better go now" by jeri southern while writing this and it's amazing so do that. i'll let ya know when i started listening <3)

SPENCER WAKES UP SCREAMING.

Fin jerks out of her half-sleep to his shrieks of, "Morgan, get them off me! Hazel! Hazel, get them off me! Morgan! Hazel! Hazel, get them off me!"

Morgan leaps to his feet, the lamp beside him flickering to life, but Fin's faster. She grabs Spencer's hands, yanking them away from his chest, where he's scrabbling furiously at the buttons of his shirt. "Spencer! Spencer, wake up! You're dreaming!"

His eyes fly open and dart around the room, scanning everything, every window, table, chair, before landing on hers again, focusing. Not the time, Fin. Forget about how his hands feel.

"What the hell is going on?"

Shit.

The hallway light flips on and there's Craig and Amy Bridges, both in their pajamas, both angry, and that's the last thing they need right now. Morgan gives Fin a look before walking over to the foot of the stairs, his voice calm. "Sir, ma'am, everything's okay."

"You wake us up screaming and you think everything's okay?" Craig scoffs. Fin understands why he's defensive-having your son kidnapped is an awful thing-but sweet mother of all things holy, he cannot read a situation.

Spencer looks ashamed of himself, his hands limp in hers, and she squeezes them gently. "Hey. Not your fault, Spence."

"Look, I understand we startled you," Morgan replies, trying to keep his tone even. "And I'm sorry for that."

"You're the FBI!" Craig says, as if this explains everything ever.

"You're right," Spencer mutters, pulling his hands away and running them through his hair frustratedly. "You're right. I'm-I'm really sorry."

"Sir, please, go back upstairs and try to get some rest." Morgan's trying his best, but reasoning with a distraught couple who've lost a kid isn't easy. "It was just a misunderstanding. Everything is fine, I promise you that."

Spencer stands up, starts to pace, but Fin grabs his hand and pulls him back down onto the couch, next to her. "Hey, I'm not done with you yet." His hand is shaking and she squeezes tightly, pressing her knee against his for just a split second.