ten

❤︎ chapter ten
cornelia street

cami was sitting next to drew as the whole group made s'mores

cami was sitting next to drew as the whole group made s'mores. the fire was warm but not unpleasant in the night. she was roasting a marshmallow for caleb, who had insisted on her doing so because she "did it the best".

"here, caleb—" before caleb could grab her stick, rudy snatched the marshmallow right off of it and shoved it in his mouth.

"rudy!" madison exclaimed, laughing.

rudy was fanning his mouth, his eyes watering slightly. "h-h-hot."

"no shit, dumbass," chase shook his head, a smile on his face.

"hate to break it to you, caleb, but i'm not making you another one, the next one's for drew."

"what?" caleb whined. "rudyyyyyy!"

rudy finally swallowed the marshmallow. "that was so good. definitely burned my mouth, but good."

cami rolled her eyes, moving her stick back over the fire. drew laced his fingers around her free hand, leaning his head on her shoulder.

she squeezed his hand, her eyes still on the fire to make sure the marshmallow wouldn't burn. she was still in disbelief at the fact that drew and her were, like, definitely a thing. he hadn't asked her to be his girlfriend yet, but she understood why. once you start to label things, everything gets more intense. specifically, scrutiny and the public eye.

madelyn looked over at the pair of them and grinned. "aww, drew's tired?"

he didn't pick his head up, only opened his eyes slightly with a sleepy smile on his face. "i'm a party animal, maddie. i don't know what you mean."

"you'd better not be too much of one," cami said jokingly, raising her brows at him.

he snuggled up to her more. "anything for my girl."

she smiled affectionately at him; but on the inside, it was like someone had released a horde of butterflies into her stomach. my girl? ...my girl!

"well, you're in luck, starkey." cami deftly took the marshmallow off the stick, placing it between chocolate and graham crackers with the experience of someone who grew up in upstate new york and had camped practically every weekend. apparently, that experience did not run off on caleb.

drew perked up, taking the s'more from cami with the excitement of a little kid and biting into it immediately.

caleb, who was watching cami with a death glare, cursed as his marshmallow burst into flames. when he pulled it out, it was charred, black, and on fire.

carlacia laughed loudly as he blew it out, nearly getting the flames on rudy. madison and chase and maddie joined in and soon the whole group was laughing, giddy with each others presence.

but soon, the fire turned to only embers, and everyone started getting up to go to sleep. they had brought four two-person tents, which worked out perfectly—carlacia and madison, rudy and caleb, chase and maddie, and drew and cami.

"no funny business to the two couples," rudy said, giving chase, cami, maddie, and drew long stares as if he were their dad.

maddie laughed, waving him off. "wouldn't dream of it."

"i would," chase mumbled, following maddie off to the tent.

drew practically dragged cami to their own, half asleep.
they had already changed, and drew fell into the blankets, yawning. he watched as cami took off her earrings and necklace, and when he thought she was ready to lay down she knelt down and opened her phone.

"cami," he mumbled sleepily.

she shushed him gently, whispering, "i'll be right there, i just have to make sure ben fed daisy. he's extremely irresponsible."

drew sighed, rolling over onto his side. he shut his eyes and quickly started to fall asleep. he didn't know how long it was before cami came over next to him—she thought he was asleep, and pressed a light kiss to his cheek. "night, drew. love you."

he opened his eyes slightly. "love me?"

she widened her eyes in surprise for a moment, smiling. "yes, i love you."

he smiled, wrapping his arm around her waist as she snuggled into his chest.

"i love you, too."

notes: short fluff chapter bc i couldn't help it soft drew is just- 🦋🤭😻