eighteen

❤︎ chapter eighteen
cornelia street

cami smiled slightly at the awe on drew's face as they pulled into the driveway of her parent's house

cami smiled slightly at the awe on drew's face as they pulled into the driveway of her parent's house. her parents lived in a home in provence, a six-bedroom place with a vast garden and a set of iron gates that opened to reveal a gravel driveway. the house was built of brick and stone, with steep roofs and wide windows. she had forgotten how well off her parents were—they continued to be successful, even in america, and now that they were back in france it was so much easier.

cami was extremely excited to see them for the first time in two long years. drew parked the rental car, and stretched his arms as he got out, cramped from the flight that proceeded straight to the car ride.

drew's gaze flickered to the house before turning back to cami. "i'm nervous," he confessed with a laugh.

she shook her head, walking around the front of the car to be close to him. "there's no reason to be, drew. they'll love you, i know it already. besides, you don't even have to worry about talking too much, because they don't speak english proficiently, and much prefer french."

he grabbed her hands, tilting his head down and giving her a light kiss. "you're my translator, baby."

she smiled. "happily."

they walked to the front door, drew still holding cami's hand. cami reached forward, hitting the door-knocker firmly against the wooden frame four times. drew could see the animation in her eyes. when the door opened to reveal the pair, but they looked nothing like drew had expected them to.

cami's father was tall—not as tall as drew, but still tall—and lean, his hair salt and pepper with stubble on his chin to match. he had tanned skin and deep wrinkles, especially around his eyes and lips, from smiling so much. her mother was fair but sunkissed, with a dusting of freckles on her cheeks and grey creeping into her brown hair. she looked extremely fit but soft around the edges; like she was in tip-top shape five years ago, maybe, but with age came a slight addition of meat onto bones and letting loose.

both her mother and her father's eyes lit up when they saw their beloved daughter—they let out many exclamations in french, and circled cami, giving her bone-crushing hugs. drew watched with a smile on his face as she was enveloped with love, as her mother kissed each of her cheeks and her father smoothed down her hair.

and then their attention was on drew—"maman, papa, voici drew. c'est mon petit ami américain." cami said softly; and then her mother gave drew a crushing hug, and her father gave drew a firm handshake, as men like to do.

"come in, come in," cami's mother said in shaky english, ushering them forward with a warm smile directed at drew. to her daughter, she said, "camille, tu ne m'as pas dit qu'il était si beau!"