twenty eight

❤︎ chapter twenty eight
cornelia street

❤︎ chapter twenty eight❪ cornelia street ❫

imessage
between: caleb and drew

caleb
i'm driving up to you guys
figured i'll give you a heads up
i have to see cami

drew
no problem
she'll be really happy, it'll lift her spirits

caleb
don't tell her
i want to surprise her

drew
your secret is safe with me

there was a knock at the apartment door. cami furrowed her brows, wondering who it could be. drew was working out at the gym and then he had a meeting of some sort, and she knew he wouldn't be back that early.

her heartbeat sped up and she felt foolish. stop acting like a baby, cami, she told herself annoyedly. getting up, she wrapped her blanket around her body tightly and made her way to the door.

when she opened it cautiously, she didn't know who to expect—but certainly not caleb. he had a longing sort of expression on his face, and she noticed that tucked under his arms was a baguette.

"how are you, petite fleur?" caleb used their family's french term of endearment, giving her a crooked smile and opening his arms for a hug. she squeezed him tightly, before stepping away and taking the baguette from him. cami turned, trying to regain her composure, walking into the kitchen to put the bread away.

"i missed you, caleb. i can't believe you're here, i wasn't expecting you!"

he shrugged slightly, slumping on one of her barstools. "my little sister needs me, whether she wants to admit it or not, so here i am."

cami stopped on the other side of the counter, her hands resting on the cool marble as she looked over at her brother, with his blonde hair and lean yet muscled figure. yet she could still remember when he was only a tween, and cami still a child, when they moved over to america and had only each other to hold onto the shattered remnants of all they had ever known.

his eyes softened as he looked at her disheveled state. "cami, come give me a real hug, okay?"

she had thought there were no tears left to cry; but enveloped in her older brother's arms, with him squeezing her so tightly like he was afraid she would go away if he didn't, she broke down again. caleb didn't really know how to handle crying women, but the ache of pity and sadness in his chest told him enough to keep hugging her and let her get it out.

finally she pulled away, and caleb watched her wipe her cheeks hastily. he wanted her to feel normal, if only for a night. thoughts of her being pregnant brushed by his mind briefly, and he panicked but pushed them aside. cami definitely wasn't ready to think about that, and he prayed with all his might that she wouldn't even have to.