Church Bells | Light

A cold wind swept through the rainy night. A lone figure stood on the top of the tall building, leaning against the concrete handrail, the only thing separating her from the sharp plunge to the harsh asphalt below. H/C hair normally styled messily was soaked wet to the root, plastered on the sides of her head, as well as her plain clothes. Leaning her upper body dangerously over the ledge, she leaned her elbows, resting her head on her hands. 

What shall she do? The entire investigation the infamous detective had been examining has gone full circle. With no leads left to follow, she knew it was only a mere timespan until her only suspect is let go. 

It wasn't her fault everyone else was too blindsided but she found it frustratingly difficult. What's the point of hiring a detective if you weren't even going to listen to her?

Sighing, she looped a finger through her shirt collar and yanked it slightly away from her so it wasn't completely stuck to her skin.

Y/N wasn't stupid. She knew a pair of watchful eyes were digging daggers into her skin and there was only one person she knew who had the motive to do that. 

"You'll freeze if you stay outside." Sure enough, his voice spoke up from the doorway. 

Hardly tilting her head to the right, Y/N hummed, tapping her finger against her chin. "I quite like the cold."

"It'll be the death of you." Light reluctantly exposed himself, rain already drenching him. He draped his jacket over your head.

"Either that or you." 

"Still suspecting me? L, what will it take for you to fully trust me?" Light stayed out with you. His back was against the handrail, the opposite way as you.

Raising an eyebrow, you resist a dry laugh. "When you stop acting so damn suspicious."

With that, you turned on your heel and walked away. Leaving Light to be slightly irked. What was he doing wrong? He used all the tricks in his book and yet he still couldn't shake you off his tail.

Up ahead, you looked back, a questioning look still on your face. "You coming or not?"

He relented and followed, the two of you reentering the building.

"Why were you outside anyways?" Light asked, keeping the door open for you. 

"I don't see why you have to know." 

"I don't see why I don't."

A brief glance in his direction had both your eyes meeting. Light brown with E/C. You gave a half smile, cupping your hand so it was by your ear. "Don't you hear the church bells?"

This time, Light was confused. What church bells? Either you were going crazy or Light was just plain deaf, but seeing how he still has the ability to listen to radio broadcasting criminal names, it's safe to assume he's not.

"Also, I told you to call me Ryuzaki." The woman somehow manifested a towel. 

"No one's here. Besides, it's not as if I'm using your real name." Light put his hand on top of yours, the towel partially in his grasp. He held his tongue, not letting his impatience get the better of him. It was only a matter of time. "Let me."

Almost snatching the fluffy towel from your hands, you let Light dry your hair. Surprisingly, he was gentle and practically pushed you down to sit on a stool. He pat it so your hair didn't frizz up into a lions mane. Then, unexpectedly, he took one of your feet and began massaging it as well.

Feet fetish, perhaps? You thought. 

The scene reminded you too much of when Judas betrayed Jesus. Was this symbolism or were you looking too much into this? 

After all, this is real life, not a written piece inspired by some entity beyond the 4th wall.

The thought brought a rogue smile to your lips. Perhaps Light had deluded himself to thinking he had checkmated you. The man noticed your expression and although he didn't let it show, he enjoyed your smile. 

It was something he wanted to keep all to himself.

"All done admiring my toes?" Uncharacteristically, you said that, placing your ankle over your knee.

"..." For once, Light was speechless.

Was this some kind of test? Were you suspecting that he was a freak? Or maybe you wanted to see how he would react? What were you thinking, Y/N? Damnit! How do I answer this without being seen as a pervert weirdo?!

Once again, Lights thoughts were going haywire.

"Relax, lighten up, Light." You laughed. "Get it? Light, lighten up?"

Your sudden change in manner was uncanny. Your smile was oddly fake, E/C eyes closed as you smiled.

"I crack myself up sometimes." You shook your head. You were starting to feel ticklish, pushing away Light gently. 

"L, are you ok?" Light scanned your face, searching for an answer. You thought it was just another one of his acts but it was genuine. He feared that you knew his plan.

You hummed, getting up from your seat. "Maybe. Maybe not. Who knows?" With that last word, you left, disappearing into the shadows smoothly. Light was left there, holding a soggy towel in one hand while his other was clenched into a fist.

"I'll get you soon enough." His eyes immediately dropped from his innocent façade back to the devil in disguise. "Patience."

Patience was his gift but your downfall. Light could wait, and wait, and wait, no matter how anxious he got. His planning was too meticulous to tear apart. You on the other hand was like a giant boulder, unmoving and planted in place. Your limits were on another level, but Light, just like water, could erode you slowly and slowly over time until it was easier to mold to his shape. 

As you spun in your chair like you were on a merry-go-round, you knew your options were limiting. Either you were going to die by Kiras hand, or live long enough to see Kira go free. Both sides were pretty trash, in your opinion. 

"I could either die by incompetence or live in humiliation." You mutter, dangling a strawberry over your mouth. "Lucky for me, I don't care for either."

It was true; whichever option came first, you would accept it.

However, a third option wasn't what you counted upon. The road in which you neither died or lived; in which you rather disappeared without a trace. The space in-between just surviving and death. The worst of both worlds. 

"For once, I've been outsmarted." 

"I could hear you say that all day." Inwardly, Light reveled in the fact you practically admitted he was more intelligent. 

"Then out of sheer pettiness I won't."

"Oh you will. Trust me, I'll make you."

~~~

For those asking: YES I'M ALIVE!!! This book (oneshots? fanfiction?? book of fanfiction oneshots???) is still going on. 

Sorry for the late update 😭 I crashed into someone a few weeks ago and my forehead still has a bump to this day. In fact, I even got a pamphlet on how to spot concussion injuries. Lesson of the day kids, don't be too competitive during dodgeball.

I'll give you a cookie if you forgive me for the short chapter. 🍪🍪