49

A small smoldering ball of fire lit up the surroundings with a warm glow, reflecting Liu Fuyi's face. With a sudden 'whoosh', the smear of yellow started to slowly turn into ash purple. The edges of the yellow paper curled up and thin strands of smoke drifted upwards.

The last Tracking Talisman he possessed simply burned into ash like that.

With a great hubbub of flapping wings, a dense group of bats flew over his head.

The further he went, the narrower the path became.

He followed the faint, nearly indiscernible smoke while calmly paying attention to the sounds coming from all directions. Suddenly he raised his hand and pushed away tree leaves, discovering a group of dark shadows on the empty grounds ahead. There were four of them on each side, standing in a neat line as they silently lifted up a blood-red palanquin between them. As soon as he came into view, they started to move away at a speedy rate.

The palanquin itself seemed like an illusion. Its details were blurry and indistinct under the dim light. It swung back and forth, making it seem like ribbons of red were drifting off of it constantly.

The last vestiges of smoke completely evaporated upon reaching this place.

Liu Fuyi silently followed them but also failed to notice the rhombus shaped mark on the tree. That is also to say, he had completely broken away from Tao Ying's meticulous plans to trap them. Now, he was headed towards the main den of the demons.

For some unknown reason, he felt a premonition within his heart. He felt as if the one sitting within that palanquin was Mu Yao herself.

-Was she ok?

He decided to no longer wait. He took out his remaining ten attack talismans and rapidly pulled three out. Dipping his finger into his nearly dried blood, he quickly drew new ones.

The three talismans quickly burned up and in the blink of an eye, transformed into a blade made of light. Liu Fuyi grasped onto the handle and leaped out from the undergrowth.

The sword, carrying a fierce blaze, was slashed down without any preemptive indicators. With a loud 'bang', the blood red palanquin crashed down onto the ground.

The black figures that held the palanquin dispersed in all directions, at the same time letting out mournful wails.

Liu Fuyi gracefully flitted onto the small, sharp point of the palanquin roof. With a simple brandish and swirl of the sword, the eight small monsters were cut in half as though he was cutting vegetables or fruit.

"Hu--" The moment the dark congealed masses, resentful spirits, touched the blade of light, they all let out ear-piercing shrieks.
The surroundings turned quiet.

The wilderness and the fresh green of the vegetation only served to contrast with the blood red palanquin laying on the ground.

The red paint was especially piercingly obvious. It felt as if it had been painted with blood itself. A thick curtain at the entrance of the palanquin blocked off sight.

A pattern of luan and phoenix decorated it, but almost so faint that it was hard to perceive. At their ends, tassels were sewn in, motionless in the air.

Liu Fuyi hesitated for a moment. Logically, he should be wary of traps and avoid moving so thoughtlessly.

But his mind was in chaos at that moment, countless memories that he had nearly forgotten being summoned from the depths of his mind.

Six years ago, at the broken gates of the Mu residence, she had saved him. Her face was always cold yet beautiful even when she strenuously dragged him all the way to her room. She silently but carefully tended to him.