Chapter 5

"KAI! KAI ARE YOU OK!?", I yelled grabbing him by his arms.

He let go of me before he spoke, "Umm...I'm fine, are you hurt?".

"I'm ok....thanks".

Katie ran up to her brother and rested a hand on his shoulder.

"Kai, you idiot", she said now hitting him.

"Jeez have some sympathy".

I was about to speak when we heard someone shout.

"KAI YOU TOLD YOU'RE HERE! OPEN THE DANG DOOR!".

"Shit, I forgot", he cursed running to the window.

"It's open, get in", he said to whoever shouted.

"What was that?", I asked.

"Just Steven, he's my friend".

The bedroom door opened and a guy, Steven I guess entered.

"Oh", he said, "I thought it was only your sister and you, but ok".

.

.

.

"So what's the plan?", Kai asked me as he leaned against the wall of the bedroom we were in.

Katie, Selena and Helen were sleeping while Kai, Steven and I were still awake.

Kai still had his gun in his hands and was standing guard near the door even though we told him that all the doors were locked. Steven was sitting on the floor right next to the window he threw a rock at I was sitting on the chair by a desk.

When I first came in, because of all the panic I didn't have time to look around the room. But now I did and realized that it probably belonged to a teenage boy. The big give-away was the Call of Duty poster next to the desk.

"I don't know man", Steven replied to Kai's question, "Let's just wait till morning and try calling rescue services again".

"They're totally useless", I said picking up my phone, "If only the military would come to save us, I trust those guys".

"What did they do to win you're trust", Kai chuckled looking at me.

"My brother's a soldier", I answered deciding to call him.

I dialed his number and held the phone to my ear.

"Who're you calling?", Steven asked.

"My brother Greg".

After about ten tries I gave up, Greg didn't answer any of my calls. At first I thought he was ignoring me but then I realized that in a situation like this he wouldn't ignore me so I assumed he didn't have his phone with him.

When I finally put my phone down Kai and Steven didn't say anything but remained silent. But the silence was cut short by the sound of a phone ringing. At first I thought it was mine and it was Greg calling but it wasn't. The ringing seemed to be coming from the drawer of the desk.

I yanked a drawer open and found the phone. By now Katie, Selena and Helen were awake too. I picked up the phone, the caller ID read 'Mom'.

"Hello", I answered the call.

"Hello-hello, Owen are you home? Are you safe there?", the woman asked in a panicked voice.

"Um this is Owen's phone but he's not here", I told her, "We found this house and decided to spend the night here since none of our houses are safe anymore, we-we didn't see your son, his phone was in his room".

"No-no, it-it can't be true, h-he has t-to be s-safe, p-please", the woman was sobbing now.

"I'm sorry Ma'am, we didn't see him anywhere", I said glancing at Kai and Katie since they were here first but they shook their heads.

"W-well, he-he's around 5'9 and he's got b-brown hair a-and blue e-eyes, if-if you see him, please tell him we arrived at the shelters and please t-take him w-with you", she said.

"Ok, we will and we'll also keep his phone with us".

"O-ok", she said and hung up.

We were all silent for minute before Selena spoke, "I-I wonder what happened to my parents".

"Should we all call them?", Helen asked and I was gonna agree but Kai spoke up.

"No, if we want to survive we got to save our phone's battery, that's the only way".

"But our parents!", Selena yelled but Kai shook his head.