Chapter 8

"We forgot to close the damn door", Steven whispered.

"Shit", I cursed, "One of them must've seen it".

"Go hide!", Kai yelled in whisper and all of us ran in different directions.

There were still some cars in the parking lot and that technically was the only place to hide.

I ran behind an old looking Ford Ecosport. But then, I realized that the footsteps coming down the metal stairs were too steady to be a zombie..

I glanced at Kai who was next to me and he seemed to have realized the same thing.

"We'll wait till whoever or whatever it is comes down", he whispered.

Just after he said that a boy appeared at the foot of the stairs, I stood up and crept along the side of the car crouching, to get a better view the guy.

Frow what I could see he looked pretty normal, not at all like how a zombie would look.

Kai then stood up from his hiding spot and walked right up to the guy with his gun in his hand.

I stood up and everybody did too. The guy we saw looked shocked and as he saw us and when he saw Kai's gun he put his hands above his head.

"Don't shoot me", he spoke.

"You hundred percent human?", Kai asked and the guy replied yes.

Hearing that Kai lowered his gun and asked for his name.

"Elias", the guy replied.

"When did you get to the mall?", I asked.

"About an hour ago, it looked like a warzone and I got chased by a couple zombies but fortunately I saw this staircase", Elias replied.

"The mess was probably our fault", Helen spoke.

"Yeah", Katie agreed with her, "My brother, Kai was doing something nuts with the car and now we don't have that either".

Katie glared at Kai as he shrugged.

"By the I forget to tell you this before", Steven said to Kai, "You could've killed us out there with your crazy car stunts".

Now everyone except me and Elias, who had no idea what was going on glared at Kai.

"Guys stop it, he actually saved with all that", I spoke in defence on Kai.

"How?", Selena asked.

So I explained to them what I thought he was doing and Kai agreed saying that it was exactly what he was trying to do.

The girls and Steven apologized to Kai and then we had to think if a way to get out of here.

"We've got plenty of cars around", Elias said running his hand along the hood of one.

"We need the keys though", I sighed.

"Then let's find them", Katie said and all of us got to work.

While I was searching for keys of any car Elias came up next to me and spoke.

"We gonna need two cars".

"Why?", I asked him.

"Well if I'm there we all can't fit into one".

I nodded and after about five minutes we found nothing.

"I think we've searched everywhere we possibly could", Helen said leaning on a random car.

"I know", I sighed as Kai walked down the stairs.

He had gone back up and locked the door so no zombies could get in. I was pretty surprised that the zombies haven't discovered the staircase even though that door was open about two hours ago.

"Should we leave this place?", Steven asked but Kai disagreed.

"There's no zombies down here", he pointed out, "And its getting dark, let's leave tomorrow morning".

Even though Steven and Katie didn't agree with him, Kai didn't care. He said down on the ground and leaned against the hood of a car.

"Sit down for a while and rest", Kai said, "We'll be walking a hell lot tomorrow".

Listening to him we all sat down but it was hard to rest. I tried tried relax but my mind kept wandering off to seeing one of bestfriends being shot.

In the end I gave trying and just sat there. Hours passed and no one said a word, Katie and Helen and Steven were sleeping all of them leaning of random cars.

By now I was sure it was dark but at least the lights in the parking lot was on.

"Let's eat guys", Kai said and I handed him Selena's backpack.

He dug around and found few sandwiches which he passed around.

Katie, Helen and Steven woke up and we all were eating peacefully when we heard a growl coming from the exit of the parking lot.

Kai stood up immediately and took out his gun, his finger already on the trigger. Moments passed and we all remained quiet. But we were standing by now, with our weapons in hand.

A zombie stumbled down from the exit and ran towards us. Kai shot it right in the head and it staggered and fell to the ground in a heap.

We thought that was the end of it but no, about ten more zombies rushed down.

The rest of us got to work, stabbing them but at the same time trying not to get bit.

Soon after zombies kept rushing down and we were surrounded.

"We'll surely get bitten!", Katie yelled fighting off another zombie with my baseball bat.

"RUN!", Kai yelled.