Chapter 14

Panic arose when I said that, everyone looked at each other with suspicion in their eyes.

"Guys none of us would ever do anything like that", Helen spoke.

"Yeah", Katie backed her up, "Lieutenant Allen and Private Davis helped us alot and everyone knows getting safety is easier with them".

"Yeah she's right", Selena said, "None of us would've been so stupid".

Steven frowned, "Well who saw them first?".

"Selena and I did, why?", I asked disposing the towel I used to clean Lieutenant Allen's blood.

"And how did you'll see?", he asked.

"Our shift was over", Selena said, "And we were heading back.

"So", Steven looked at us, "That means you two were the only ones with guns?".

"Yeah we-", I paused when I finally understood what he meant, "We did not do it!".

"Who else? Everyone else was sleeping and they had the rifles with them".

"Steven stop it", Kai stood us for me and Selena, "You seriously can't be assuming that".

"I'm just saying all the evidence points their way".

"But", Thiago spoke, "Nobody heard any gun shots, did they?".

That got all of our attention.

"They must've used a silencer then", Elias said as Amanda kneeled down next to me.

"I'll take care of Private Davis, you have more things to worry about", she said and Katie too joined her.

"I refuse to believe that it was one of us", Helen said and Steven rolled his eyes.

"Then don't but there's no one else here".

Kai sighed and raked a hand through his hair, "Let's just clean this mess up and then we'll talk".

So all of us cleaned the blood and wounds and wrapped the bodies in white blankets we had since we didn't have any other cloth.

After that was done we all sat around the lobby like Kai promised to discuss the situation.

"So let's not point fingers here", Selena said before Kai even spoke.

Steven started talking but got cut off by Kai.

"If whoever killed them is here then that means the rest of us are in danger".

"You think we haven't figured that out yet genius?", Katie replied rolling her eyes.

"You probably have but we have no proof that it was Selena or Alexis", he replied.

"Can this wait till morning?", Elias groaned, "I'm tired and now we have to find that military camp.on our own, so we'll have plenty of time to talk as we walk".

"Two people had being murdered", Kai pointed out, "It can't wait Elias".

Elias rolled his eyes and slumped back on the couch he was sitting on. I leaned my head against the backrest of the couch and recalled everything that happened before we saw them dead.

And that's when I remembered.

"Guys, Selena and I, we heard someone talking on a phone during our shift", I suddenly said sitting up.

"What?! You for real?!", Steven asked shocked.

Everyone else stared at us and Selena nodded, "We did and we thought we finally got cell service but when we tried it didn't work".

"Tried what?", Katie asked and I rolled my eyes.

"Calling someone".

"Then how did that person call anyone?", Amanda asked and I shurgged.

"I wish I knew".

.
.
.
.

The next morning

We had all fallen asleep where we all were talking the night before and I first to wake up.

I stood up and decided to explore the place, I grabbed my rifle too just in case. And remembering Kai's words I checked it for amos which it did have.

I walked for a while and everything looked normal until I came across one room which looked neater than the others.

I walked in and cautiously set my gun down next to the desk. I walked towards the bookcase and I saw a phone on a shelf.

I grabbed it and turned it on. The wallpaper was black and it surprisingly had no password. I knew I didn't have much time so I hurriedly dialled a random number

It surprisingly worked and I was so happy. I held the phone to ear and the phone rang three times before he picked it up.

"You got it done?", a voice came from the otherside of the phone.

It kinda sounded familiar, even the number seemed some what familiar

"Hello?", I asked into the phone and the otherside became quiet.

No longer than a second passed before he hung up. Now my mind was full.of questions.

Who was that? Who did I call?  How can this phone get connection but not the others?

My train of questions were cut short when the door opened and I heard footsteps.

"Alexis what are you doing?", Kai asked.

I turned around glad that I was just him. I quickly showed him the phone and told him what happened.

"You believe me now?", I asked raising an eyebrow.

"I trusted you, it was Steven who-", I cut him off by holding up my hand.

"Doesn't matter, try calling that number again.

I told him the number and he tried it and put it on speaker.

"It's you right?", the same voice answered again.

"Um..who this?", Kai asked but they hung up on us again.

"That's suspicious", Kai said pocketing the phone, "I'm gonna keep it, just in case".

"Let's go now", I said and was about to walk out when the door opened.

Thiago stood in front of us, "What are you two doing here?".