Chapter 7

The glass door shattered but Kai didn't stop doing whatever he was doing with the car.

It kept spinning it circles and crashing into random shops. Everyone except for Kai screamed their lungs out. He seemed to be super focused on the car.

The only thing that came to mind was whether Kai was trying to get us killed.

But as Kai crashed into a jewelery shop shattering the glass displays, I finally understood what his plan was.

The shattering sounds makes some zombies go in the direction they came from and the pieces of glass seemed to pierce through the zombies skin slowing them down.

At last the car skidded to a stop under the escalator.

"Get out and go up to the top second floor", Kai said urgently.

"What about you?", Katie asked as Helen opened the car door.

"I'll distarct the rest of them, NOW GO!", Kai spoke his hands still gripping the steering wheel.

"Hell no, you're coming with us", I said but he shook his head.

"That's not gonna-", he was cut off when we saw yet another zombie stumbling in out direction.

"Kai let's not argue in this situation, just get your damn ass out of the car and let's go", Steven said grabbing Kai's arm.

"Fine", he agreed and we all got out the car.

Running up the escalator that was now stopped was easy but finding a place to hide wasn't so easy.

"The beauty store", Selena said pointing a store on to her left.

But before anyone else could speak I pointed at the furniture, "That's perfect".

All of us rushed inside and frantically searched for a place at the same time trying not to make a sound.

I chose the closet in a bedroom display, closing the closet door leaving just an inch gap.

I heard the growls of the zombies and I ducked down even though they couldn't see me.

I peered out the gap and watched one zombie walk right past the closet. Minutes passed and finally when all of us were sure that all the zombies have left the store, Kai crawled out from under the bed and spoke.

"Come out now, I think it's safe".

Hearing his words I stepped out from the closet and brushed off invisible dust from my pants.

"I never knew I could be so still", Steven said raking a hand through his hair.

"I know", Katie agreed.

"To be honest", I spoke, "When we watch a zombie movie we're all terrified of them, but now we actually don't have time to scared since we're too focused on surviving".

"True", Selena and Helen agreed.

"Now that we don't have a car, we've got to walk", Kai said.

I heard Katie gasp and saw Helen and Selena share a look.

"You're kidding me", Steven said in disbelief.

"No cap dude, we got to, atleast until we find another car", Kai shurgged.

"We'll be able to find plenty of cars", I said leaning on the closet I was previously in, "But finding one which has its keys right next to, that's gotta be rare".

"We're doomed", Helen sighed resting her head on the wall.

"How long does it take to walk to Orlando?", I asked ignoring Helen.

"About eleven hours", Selena sighed.

I was about to speak when we heard growls coming from behind me.

I turned around and saw a zombie, about twenty feet away, bumping its head on to window trying to get out. I guess zombies really are stupid.

Kai kept a finger to his lips signaling us all to be quiet. He then pointed at the fire exit to his right and the rest of us nodded.

He walked towards it and we all followed trying our best to as quiet as possible.

Kai turned the handle and opened the door exposing a metal stair case, I read a sign saying that it leads to the basement. I elbowed Kai and he nodded.

Kai, Steven and I made it a few steps down without any problem but as Katie did she tripped over Selena's foot, making a huge bang when her feet made contact with the metal stairs.

The zombies attention turned to us and it rushed in our direction. Kai pushed Steven and I away and ran up the stairs.

Slamming the door he pressed his back against it. The zombie started banging its fist or whatever on the door and a huge dent appeared on the door.

I ran up to next to him and pushed against the door.

"The door's gonna break!", he yelled, "Get out of here!".

"Come on then", I urged him but he shook his head.

"For God's sake stop being such a Saint ", Steven yelled pulling Kai away from the door.

Just as he did that the door came right off its hinges and fell to the ground. I got a clear view of the zombie and even with its torn clothes and blood everyone and a monstrous face, I recognized it or her.

My elementary school best friend.

Before anyone could react Kai pulled out his gun and fired it at the her. The bullet went right through her chest and she fell on to her knees, more blood soaking her white shirt.

I stood there traumatised as everyone ran down the stairs. I felt someone grab my arm and pull me down the stairs.

But I couldn't take my eyes off my childhood bestfriend, once a monster now gone forever, a bullet through her chest.

I only realized that we made it to the basement when I smelled that weird smell of gasoline that every mall basement parking lot has.

I then realized that everyone was staring at me.

"Alexis are you ok?", Kai asked loosening his grip on my arm.

"T-that zombie y-you shot u-up there was my c-childhood bestfriend", I shuttered trying my best not to cry.

But I realized I failed to when I felt Kai's hand gently brushed away the teardrops that were streaming down my face.

"Oh my gosh!", Katie exclaimed, "W-we didn't know", she put a arm around me comforting me.

"That was so inhumane", Helen said glaring at Kai, "Alexis we're sorry".

They were all crowding around me and when Kai heard Helen's comment, he was about yell at her but I spoke.

"Helen it's-it's fine, it's not inhumane, that wasn't a human and right now we're fighting to survive".

"And to save humanity", Steven cut in.

Selena who was quiet all along was about to speak when a loud bang made us all look at the stair case that we ran through to reach the basement.