Chapter 15

Jaz was sitting on the couch, holding Hero in her arms watching the news together. It had been several days since the incident. They'd fully briefed Jason on exactly what had happened, and Brin immediately returned to work afterwards, though what work he did not say. Hero had only just gotten up on his own, though Jaz was forbidden from walking him outside yet. Instead, they'd been watching the news coverage of the event when Jason joined them. "So. About the payment for Hero's treatment."

"Yes?" Jason's statement immediately snapped Jaz's attention away from the TV.

"Of course you wouldn't expect me to house you two and provide emergency medical services for Hero without charge." She hadn't thought he'd charge her. "But I've been thinking about the matter of payment, given you're," He paused, struggling to say what he wanted to say it seemed.

"Given that I'm homeless?" Jaz finished his sentence for him.

"Yes." He cleared his throat, clearly a bit flustered bringing it up, "About that."

"I'll find a way to pay you back, if you'll accept it in increments that is. I could... Leave my phone with you as collateral?" If she did, it would be difficult to contact Terese and Clara but it was her only prized possession. She flinched realizing she still hadn't bothered to do that yet.

"No, no. That won't be necessary, and besides. I doubt you'd be able to pay the thousands you owe me for services rendered by doing odd jobs around the city." He shook his head, not noticing the shocked stare Jaz was giving him now, "And I'd hate to know what those jobs could end up being... No. You'll work off your debt." Jason was giving Jaz a very determined look, like he wasn't going to accept no. Not that she was really in any position to refuse whatever offer he had for her. "You can stay here with Hero, and work as my assistant in the clinic. I liked how you worked when you brought Hero a few nights back, and how you've assisted in the time since. I'll give you a loan on your first payment to since you're in need of new clothes and shoes." Jason pulled a wad of cash from his pocket, pre-prepared Jaz could tell, handing it to her. "Since you'll be working for me now, you'll need to look the part." He smiled.

She took the money in a state of shock. Completely dumbstruck by what just happened. Looking satisfied, Jason stood up stretching. "You'll start next week. In the meantime, I'll ask Brin to take you shopping."

"That won't be-" She began to protest.

"No no, he has a license. I'd rather like to avoid you walking around these parts with cash in your pocket like that. Superman isn't the only person with x-ray vision walking those streets." With that, he hummed his way back down the stairs to reopen his practice.

Jaz turned to Hero who wore an equally shocked expression for a dog. "Guess I got a job now, eh?" Was all she could manage after a moment. Jaz stared out the window for a while thinking about what she would do, avoiding looking at her phone. She'd found it on the bedside table, still powered on and ringing the day after they'd made it back home, but she'd justified ignoring the calls because she 'still needed rest' all this time.

It buzzed again, breaking Jaz's thoughts once more. Hero whined beside her, seemingly understanding what she was worried about. "It's them. I promised I'd keep responding but then I kinda ghosted them for a week." Jaz winced seeing a wall of angry texts from Terese and Clara. What made it worse was the fact that they realized the same day she'd gotten snatched that she was missing. They'd sent a photo of Jaz's face depicted on a holographic screen, the same one Maxmellius was spreading to the thugs to find her. "Never mind. I need to come up with a better excuse if I'm going to apologize to them." Hero whined beside her.

"Apologize to who?" Brin was standing on the stairs. Jaz fumbled her phone, barely catching it before it hit the floor.

"Can you like, make noise when you're moving around. You startle me every time you do that." Jaz stood up. "So..."