Chapter 18

The plan was straight forward. Step one, Clara would get a job through the Bouncer there, working her way into the inner circle of servers. Management sold the information the servers eavesdropped, and the more trusted one was, the more 'sensitive' areas she could gain access to. There was a regular patron, some hot shot heir to a millionaire who partied once a month there always causing a scene with a different server every time. Clara would ensure that scene blew up even bigger this time, creating a diversion for Arrow and Terese to sneak upstairs and secure the files Blue Hue kept on patrons against their knowledge.

"Hold on. If he's known to harass the servers but he's allowed back, they're obviously in his pocket. How would we know they wouldn't just turn on a simple waitress, especially a new one and throw her to the wolves. Or worse, they could give her too him. I know the type." Arrow was the first to poke holes.

"Because we'll have the bouncer on our side, and with Clara's power of influence, she'll have had the time to collect other friends to back her up." Brin sounded confident.

"Umm." Clara spoke up. Her face was pale, and she kept glancing at the plans, "How... How will I even get a job there? I know you said the bouncer... But what if he doesn't like me?"

Brin spoke matter-of-factly, "He'll like you." He turned to the rest of them, "Everyone. If you'd excuse me and Clara, I'd like to test her abilities quickly."

Terese moved off on her own, practicing with her lightning zigzagging across the factory as the sharpened swords she'd made chased after her. She left Jaz and Arrow alone for the first time that night to talk. "How's your dog doing?"

"Hero?" Jaz was worried about what Arrow could be thinking since their last encounter, and why she didn't give him her name, so she was excited to talk about anything else. "He's doing really good. Took him days to wake up after what happened at the lab, but he's up and about and able to go for walks now."

Arrow nodded, deep in thought for a moment while he stroked the beard on his chin. "Before we leave, do you mind if I see him again?"

"You know what?" Jaz glanced behind her to check where Terese was. She was on the other side of the factory, struggling to dodge the metal pieces she was flinging at herself. When Jaz's attention returned to Arrow, she realized she had his full attention, and a look of curiosity on his face, "Hero ain't like other dogs. He hasn't been my dog for long actually. We met after Max had begun stealing dogs." Arrow looked ahead of them, brows furrowed while he put two and two together. "I'm pretty sure Max did something to him... I kinda think he might be another hero. Like an actual one, though I don't know who." She shrugged.

They walked for some time in silence while Jaz waited for Arrow to respond. When he did, he only told her he'd visit her sometime in the coming week to see. Their conversation was cut short by Clara and Brin exiting the foreman's office, a blush on her face and a satisfied grin on his. "Terese. You and I will meet here every night to practice."

"Every night? Look bud, I'm all for practice but I don't have the time to dedicate every night to playing babysitter." Arrow held up his hands towards the girls, "No offence of course."

"Clara, you're in charge of finding you two another babysitter." Brin addressed her directly. She flinched, looking towards her feet. "That is your first assignment. Terese, be sure she tries."

"Oh, you don't even have to ask. I will..." Terese bit her lip considering for a moment before adding, "Thank you." When Brin gave her a confused glance she continued, "For showing me that I still have a lot more to learn." The three of them drove off in their own van leaving Jaz alone with Brin. She waited by his car expecting him to unlock the door.