Asif

*(Rahma's POV)*

I woke up at 4:00 am; yesterday was just like every other day, unchanging. Last night, I decided to sleep in the store filled with spiders and cobwebs. At least, looking on the bright side, I didn't have to be forced to sleep in the guestroom toilet. I forced my fragile body up, feeling the pain all over, and decided to get ready for school before starting my house chores.

I went with my little bucket to the backyard, turned on the tap, and filled it. As funny as it may sound, Mrs. Monroe isn't poor when it comes to money, but she is surely poor in living. I had to come to the backyard tap to get water. Well, I am only allowed to use the abandoned guestroom toilet, and the tap is unfortunately not working. I made my way into the toilet, quickly took my bath, and tried my best to clean the toilet without passing out.

After taking my bath, I went over to the sack where I kept my clothes, just eight different wears, which I'm really grateful for. I had three different hijabs that were long enough to cover my entire body. I brought out leggings and a white tank top and quickly got dressed. I was about to put on my long hijab when I saw my reflection in the mirror of the guest room.

I stood there looking at a black, beautiful abandoned girl. Even if I'm ugly, I like to believe that I'm actually pretty sometimes. The cuts on my skin weren't so visible due to my black skin. I looked over to my boobs and ass, and it made me feel insecure, not because I am thin or flat but because I am fully shaped and well-curved. Mrs. Monroe has made me believe that my shape is ugly and part of the things that need to be hidden on my body. Well, she didn't have to make me feel so insecure because I would've covered my body anyway; that's what my religion teaches me.

I kept my hijab aside and started cleaning the living room, then the kitchen, then the grand four guestrooms, and... the list goes on. Once I was done, it was 6:00 am, and the devils finally woke up. Well, here goes today. Thirty-five minutes later, Mrs. Monroe and her children came downstairs.

She gave me a filthy look, which isn't new, and I so badly wanted to look at her the same way, but I don't want to lose my eyes before getting to explore the world.

"You can go over to Victoria and Margaret's room to clean it up, then go clean my own room. Richard said he already cleaned up his room, so when you are done, close the house and keep the keys under the rug outside." She said while passing by me.

"Goodbye, Ram, see you in school," Victoria and Margaret said at the same time in a mocking tone.

(Goodbye evil vicious unfaithful demons), my inner voice replied to them. With that, they all made their way outside the door, and I quickly went to finish up the chores, not wanting to be late for school.

An hour later, I'm running down the street of New York, receiving weird stares from people. Well, not the first time either. It isn't easy running in a hijab that covers your whole body while trying not to trip, but again I'm used to it.

Once I reached the school, I found the hallway empty, and I am sweating right now. I quickly made my way over to my first class, which I am pretty sure I am late. I opened the door to the class, and suddenly the teacher goes quiet while looking at me, and every other student in class does the same.

(Am I so pretty that you all can't stop staring?) I asked with my eyes.

Mr. Williams, our English teacher, was about to speak when I beat him to it, saying.

"Good morning, Mr. Williams, I'm sorry -" Well, as usual, he doesn't let me finish up my sentence when he said.

"Detention." (Why thank you, sir), I internally replied to him. Well, he just gave me a reason not to go back to that hellish house, and I couldn't love my English teacher more.

I quickly went to the back of the class and sat on an empty seat, and the class continued with me being quiet and paying attention. After having three very exhausting periods in a row, it was finally time for lunch break. I went inside the toilet and brought out the sandwich I secretly made for myself. What? It isn't stealing. Sometimes, a black melanin also has to eat, you know.

After having a wonderful lunch all by myself inside the toilet, I quickly made my way back to class, trying my best to ignore how they all stare at me. Yep, they stare like they haven't seen me for two years now. It's sad how there are other Muslims in this school, but they also just love to gossip about the life of the Muslim black Melanin. Ignoring them like I usually do, I went back to my class. Soon, everyone returned, and Miss Marinette resumed teaching physics. She is an amazing teacher, and you always pick up whatever she's teaching, plus she makes funny jokes in class.

The door to the class opened when we were halfway through the period. That's when the head teacher, Mr. Harith, entered the class with a boy who looked around 18 years old. Everyone kept staring at the boy, and I couldn't keep my eyes off him. He was about 6'2 feet tall, his hair looked messy yet attractive, and he didn't bother hiding his sculpted muscles as his shirt perfectly hugged his body. I can't remember the last time I saw a guy this handsome. Well, sadly, he's just another handsome white. For a second, his eyes scanned the class, and they settled on me. That's when I got this warm and fuzzy feeling, but too quickly, he looked away as if he saw something disgusting. It kind of hurt, but I decided to ignore the hurt. *(Astaghfirullah)* I said as I realized that I've been looking at a boy who's not my Mehram for too long.

I looked back at my textbook, suddenly trying to remember the last thing Miss Marinette said.

"This is Asif. He's a new student in this class," the head teacher said, looking over to Miss Marinette. "I'll hand him over to you now," he said to Miss Marinette before leaving the class.

"Welcome to the class, Asif. Go find a place to sit," Miss Marinette told him. All the while, I lowered my gaze, pretending not to know what had been going on.

*A/N:
I'm sorry I wanted to write more, but I'll have to cut the chapter short now because something came up. I hope you liked the chapter, and don't forget to vote and comment. Please follow my account on IG @toprankingnovels.*