41 | Unexpected Visitor

I highly considered just scrapping this chapter since it doesn't affect the overall plot very much, but I decided to just leave it for now since it gives some insight into Beckett's personality and her friendship with Eden, which will come in handy later on. Enjoy!

After peeking off layers of clothes and changing into an oversized t-shirt and sweatpants, Beckett climbed into bed after a long day

After peeking off layers of clothes and changing into an oversized t-shirt and sweatpants, Beckett climbed into bed after a long day. She released a sigh of relief as warmth engulfed her, soothing her tired muscles in a way like no other. Though she made prior engagements before going to bed, now that she was snuggled into the warm and comfortable nest of her bed, her eyes were starting to get droopy.

Bzz bzz

With a groan, Beckett rolled over to the bedside table and grabbed her phone. Her messy hair and tired eyes came into view as she realized her camera was on, signaling a video call. She already knew who the call was from, even before peering at the ID. She flipped her hair over her shoulder and forces herself to sit up before swiping her thumb across the screen, to the green 'answer call' button.

"Wow, I can't believe you were just about to fall asleep without ringing me up!"

Palm pressed to her cheeks and eyes barely open, Beckett's pout morphed into a small smile. "Sir Eden. You called?" she opened her eyes a bit more to see Eden's face plastered on her screen, the light from his laptop reflecting off the lens of his square-framed glasses. He was sitting up in bed too, a large Thirteen Reasons Why poster hoisted above him.

Eden sorted. "Duh. You promised to check in with me every day."

"I know. Sorry, sorry."

"Whatevs, Beckett. It's not like I was waiting for your call," Eden affirmed, pompously pushing his glasses further up the Slope of his nose. "But still, I want to know the deets. Canada must be exciting. How's the trip been going so far?

Beckett paused for a moment, staring at the darkened skies outside for a bit as she recalled the two days that elapsed since they landed in Canada. Besides the breathtaking estate and the mouthwatering food the chefs and maids prepared daily, things had been okay so far. "Well, it's okay," her shoulders slumped and she bit her lip as another thought crossed her mind.

"What's wrong? You're pouting again."

She sighed. "I know, it's just that I've been here for two days now and Paxton has barely said a word to me. He's just been around Sebastian and his other friends in the house," she whined. "But it's fine, it's not like he's ignoring me, because he actually smiles at me and says good morning or good night, but ... I don't know. I expected to at least get to talk to him, you know? Especially since he invited me."

Eden didn't say anything at first and Beckett pressed her lips into a thin line as her cheeks grew warm from simply thinking about Paxton; his sky blue eyes that twinkled in the faintest presence of light, his dirty blond hair, and the single dimple that sunk into his right cheek every time he smiled or cackled as he played beer pong with Sebastian and the others. Even the knob embedded in his nose was attractive. Even his voice; everything about him. He looked good in everything, and in every lighting possible.