02 - theres always another case

The sun was setting over Quantico, Virginia

The sun was setting over Quantico, Virginia. The quiet day that the BAU had just finished was about to change.

"We have a case" Penelope announced, leaving her office, "But no travelling required! It's right her at home" she followed up with after groans sounded throughout the group.

As the team met at the roundtable Penelope started flipping through photos.

"This is Kylie Monice. She was found dead 5 hours ago in an abandoned office building by some kids looking for an adventure. Upon further investigation the police found that 6 other rooms in the hallway in that building had similar dead bodies".

"6?" Hotch said, "Were any of them reported missing?"

Penelope continued, "Yes, all of them. The first victim was reported missing 8 weeks ago, so this guy is on a pretty tight schedule".

"What's that next to all of them?" Derek asked.

"Right", Penelope said, jumping into more details of the case. "The killer laid a shield with some sort of crest on it next to all the victims. All of them died from blunt force trauma to the back of the head but there are signs of sexual assault and prolonged torture on all 7 girls".

Rossi was quick to bring up the family crest, "If we have the family crest shouldn't we know who this guy is already?"

Penelope shut that down just as quickly, "I've looked. I can not find anything even similar to it online. I have however spoken to a lovely young lady who has a Ph D in history and her supervisors said if anyone would know, she would. She's on her way down here now to assist in this historical background this case might have".

"Alright. Morgan and Reid, you two head over to the crime scene. Rossi, you and Prentiss will go speak to the families - they should be gathering in the lobby area now. I'm going to wait for this historian to show up and get her started." Hotch stated as the team stood up, moving to get to their tasks.

Rossi and Prentiss walked into the lobby area where the families of the victims were gathered. The room was filled with a tense and somber atmosphere as they approached the first family. The first family they spoke with were the parents of the first victim, 23-year-old Samantha. The parents were visibly distraught and were holding onto each other for support.

"Mr. and Mrs. Johnson, we're here to ask you a few questions about your daughter. We're trying to find out as much as we can about her to help us catch the person responsible for her death," Rossi said, offering his condolences.

Mrs. Johnson wiped her tears and spoke softly, "Samantha was such a bright and kind soul. She was always so full of life and had a smile that could light up a room."

Rossi took out his notepad and began to take notes, "Can you tell us anything about her habits, friends, or any places she used to frequent?"

Mr. Johnson spoke up, "She was studying law at the university and spent most of her time studying or hanging out with her friends. She trusted too easily which often got her into trouble."