13 - reminiscing

Lilith stood in front of the weathered headstones, her parents' names etched into the cold, gray stone

Lilith stood in front of the weathered headstones, her parents' names etched into the cold, gray stone. The graveyard was quiet, the only sound being the soft rustling of leaves and the distant hum of traffic. The air carried a chill, but Lilith felt a warmth in her heart as she paid her respects to the memories of her parents. 

She knelt down, brushing her fingers over the engraved words. "I wish you were here." 

As she sat in front of the graves she was pulled back to a time when their family was whole. The girl had thought that visiting might bring her some clarity after the events of dinner the night before but she wasn't sure if that thought was all that correct. 

The siblings childhood had been marked by shared laughter, family dinners, and the comforting embrace of their parents. Yet, as they grew older, so did the complexities of life. 

Lilith vividly remembered the day that marked the beginning of the end.

It was a chilly autumn evening when Jacob came home with a scowl on his face. He was in his late teens, rebellious and stubborn. The warmth of their home had ceased to be enough for him.

Lilith, who was just starting high school, looked up to her brother with admiration and a hint of fear.

"Jacob, what happened?" Bella asked, concern etched across her face.

He shrugged her off, storming into the house and leaving the two girls on the porch without a word. The tension that hung in the air hinted at an impending storm.

Bella exchanged a worried glance with Lilith before following Jacob into the house. The front door slammed shut, the reverberation echoing through the once serene home.

The living room, once a haven of shared laughter, now felt like a battlefield where unspoken conflicts waged.

"Jacob, what's going on?" Bella pressed, her voice gentle but concerned.

He paced the room, his frustration palpable. "Nothing's going on, okay? Just leave me alone."

Their grandfather entered the room, his brows furrowed in worry. "Jacob, you can't keep shutting us out. I got a call from your school earlier and what you did means nothing but bad news, you'll need support now more than ever."

"I don't need family right now!" Jacob snapped, his anger boiling over. "I need space. Can't you all just leave me alone?"

Their grandmother, sensing the growing tension, attempted to diffuse the situation. "Jacob, we just want to help. The school said—"

"Help?" Jacob scoffed, a bitter edge to his tone. "You can't help! You never understood me!"

Lilith and Bella soon found out that Jacob was flunking and had beat some kid up in the halls. He claimed it was 'just for fun' and that the kid was 'weird'.