06 - bella, jason, and coffee

Lilith woke up to a buzzing phone, indicating an incoming call from her sister Bella

Lilith woke up to a buzzing phone, indicating an incoming call from her sister Bella. She quickly answered, not often receiving a phone call from either of her siblings.

"Bella! It's so good to hear from you," Lilith exclaimed, a smile forming on her face.

"Hey, Lilith! I've missed you," Bella replied, her voice filled with warmth. "I wanted to call and catch up a bit if your free!"

Lilith leaned against the kitchen counter, eager to hear what her sister had to say. "Tell me everything! I am so free!"

Bella took a deep breath before continuing. "Well, first of all, I have a new girlfriend. Her name is Amelia, and she's amazing. I think this might be something really special."

Bella started gushing over all the details of her relationship and their recent move into a Vegas apartment together.

A genuine smile spread across Lilith's face. "That's fantastic, Bella! I'm so happy for you. You deserve all the love and happiness in the world."

"Thank you, Lilith. It means a lot," Bella responded gratefully. "But, I admit there was a slight motive beyond catching up to this call. Jason has been acting really strange lately."

Concern washed over Lilith as she listened intently to Bella's words. "What do you mean by strange, you know I stopped speaking to him after grandma kicked him out?"

Bella sighed. "He's been distant, avoiding my calls, canceling plans at the last minute. And when I do see him, he seems... different. It's like he's carrying a heavy burden or hiding something. I'm worried about him, Lilith."

Lilith's heart sank at the mention of their estranged brother's unusual behavior. Despite the distance that had grown between them over the years, they were still family, and she couldn't ignore her concern.

"I understand, Bella. I don't know if we should give him space or reach out or what," Lilith said. "Maybe try brining him over some coffee or something? A gesture that'll make him open the door for you"

Bella hesitated for a moment before responding. "That might be a good idea. I can't ask you to come home or to reconnect but if you ever find yourself in Vegas again maybe the three of us should meet". Bella paused for a moment before continuing, "But I have to warn you, Lilith, he's not the same person we knew growing up. Something has changed in him."

"I understand," Lilith replied, her voice filled with a mixture of uncertainty and determination. "It's true that we can't let the past define us, but it's also valid for me to have reservations about reaching out to Jason. The pain and hurt from our past can't be easily forgotten."

Bella sighed on the other end of the line, the weight of their family's history evident in her voice. "You're right, Lilith. We've both endured so much because of Jason's actions, you more than me. It's understandable that you may not want anything to do with him."