Chapter 23: The Protection

"Anything for you, αγάπη μου." Markris's father said, with a big grin on his face.

Lorena felt like she was living in an alternative universe where everything seemed unreal. Still, she wanted to hear the point of this gathering as quickly as possible. She picked up a piece of chicken, suddenly feeling hungrier than before.

"So Lorena, how do you like working with Lauren?" Cicero asked. The question caught her unaware, causing the chicken in her mouth to go down the wrong pipe. She began to cough. Her eyes immediately turned red. Markris quickly poured water into a glass and handed it over to her.

As she collected the glass, their hands brushed momentarily, and she shuddered again. Once again, he caught on to her reaction. His brow raised as he watched her gulp the water down. When she was done, she dropped the glass and turned her face away from him.

"Why can't you watch your manners, Lorena? Why do you have to be so embarrassed?" Her father frowned, the irritation evident in his voice. Lorena's face immediately fell. Jokes on her for thinking that her father could at least be lovely in the presence of other people. It was just always the same story with him.

Markis clenched and unclenched his fist as he watched Lorena. He was beginning to sense a pattern. She feared her father. The same woman who was always ready to go back and forth with him feared her father, and he wondered why. He did not like how her father just spoke to her, and he didn't like himself much for just now clocking the whole situation.

"Father, it was a mistake," Verona said in defense of her sister.

"Mistake?" He snickered. "She is just as clumsy as you are. Two silly peas in a pod!" He said, grounding his teeth.

Lauren giggled and stretched her hands to grab Cicero's hands. "Sir Cicero?" She began. "Don't stress yourself too much. We are girls. Being clumsy is what we do." She said, giving it a good pat and squeezing.

Verona's brows furrowed as she watched Lauren and her father. Lorena raised her head just in time to catch the exchange between the two, and her face formed into a tight frown. Her eyes and Verona's met, and a silent communication passed between them. Verona shrugged and took another bite from her food.

"Thank you, Lauren. You're such an amazing woman. Way different from these two," He said, pointing at Verona and then Lorena. "My friend is a damn lucky man to have you."

Lorena choked on her food again, causing everyone's eyes to rest on her.

"You see what I was saying?" Her father said, throwing his hands in the air. "She has no manners."

"That's enough!" Markris, who had been silent all along, suddenly said.

Everyone immediately turned to him.

"Markris? Manners!" His father said between his teeth.

"I mean, we're talking and cursing on the dining table. I don't think we should be talking about manners. I also don't think you have the right to turn my house into a military ground where no one can express themselves. When we're in your spaces, sure, you can do whatever you want, but not in my house." He warned, standing up. Lauren gasped, her eyes widening, while Verona dropped her fork in surprise. She smiled when she saw her father's face tight. She almost broke into a laugh. Maybe finally, he'll call off this wedding. She couldn't be happier for her sister.

"You do not talk to your elders like that!" His father said, raising his voice.

Lorena's mouth hung open in shock as she watched Markris from the corner of her eyes. He was fuming. His face was tight, and thin wrinkles spread across his forehead. His lips were thin and drawn. His nose scrunched in disgust. His right fist was clenched into a ball, while his other hands were casually in his trousers pocket.