Chapter 46: Eris Bless this Fantastic Pageant!

"-Seriously, you guys are terrible. Don't bully my friend."

"It's not like that. It's just that when I saw all of the attention and cheering Darkness was getting, I got the impulse to set her up as a... super idol or something..."

"I didn't even do anything; why am I getting a lecture?"

Chris took us to a place a little further away from the last row of the audience for an earful. Kazuma, Aigis, and I were bowing in front of a very disappointed goddess in disguise, who looked like she was about to cry.

"What kind of super idol gets yelled at to strip? ... Even Aigis was messing around like this... You're supposed to be a divine relic of the highest grade, too..."

As Chris let out a deep sigh, Kazuma spoke up:

"Hey, at least we caught this thing like we planned. I told you it was a good idea."

"Ignoring Darkness' new trauma of beauty pageants, this plan was executed flawlessly. We got Aigis, and Eris Church got popular again, so isn't that a good thing?" I added.

"This isn't good at all! Anyway, how are we going to clean up this mess?!"

Saying this, Chris turned to the audience, which was getting beaten into a pulp by the enraged Darkness. The repeated cries to strip pushed her past her limits.

The adventurers from the audience tried to resist, but since Darkness was fighting barehanded, she had the upper hand.

"... Maybe we should have her fight with her hands when we're out questing."

"Focus, Y/N! If this event turns into an all-out brawl, it's gonna be associated with Eris Church for years! I don't want people to think that my followers are like violent animals!"

"This is getting interesting; that girl's tough! Beauties and brawls are the spice of any festival; I'm getting pumped too! Burn, my passion! Glow, my body! Alright, I'm joining in on this fight!"

"Don't make this mess any bigger! Aaaaagh, Aigis, I'm begging you—did you even listen to what I just said? ... Look, after the Demon King is defeated, I won't just grant the hero's wish with my authority as a goddess. I'll grant your wish too, so please..."

With pleading eyes, Chris held down Aigis, whose excitement burst out from the sudden brawl. I really started to feel bad for her...

In response, Aigis just shurgged.

"So this kid's talking about being a goddess again. Listen, girlie, I know goddesses. I've met with them before. Or rather, it was a goddess who gave me to a certain girl. Anyway, let me tell you this: when it comes to goddesses, there isn't a single decent one around."

"What did you saaaaaaaaaay?!"

"It's true, though. The goddess, who's supposed to be higher in hierarchy than the one before us, is currently causing mischief with her gang of criminal followers."

"You...! You...! Ugh, I can't take this anymore! Before I find a suitable new master for you, I'll seal you away in the lake! There are other divine relics in there, anyways, so you can just keep each other company!"

"A punch like that won't leave a scratch on my body! I'm a divine relic, after all! Haha, you should try harder, little girl!"

"Aaaaargh!"

While Chris continued her assault despite the obvious pain, the people were enjoying the ongoing fight between Darkness and the others.

Well, that certainly was a way to get everyone's eyes on Eris Church again. Maybe it didn't go according to plan, but it sure worked.