Alcon's Journal #18 - Music

DSF@1b1e322aae60b62fcf00a8bbe95735dd

During my time in Europa, one of the things I cherished the most was lounging in the greenhouse, surrounded by lush greenery, while Ami and I shared beautiful moments together. We would often lose ourselves in the ethereal melodies of music, gazing up at the twinkling stars above. Our conversations mainly revolved around our shared passions for movies and music, which brought us closer despite our diverse backgrounds. Ami, having grown up in Japan, had been immersed in the captivating world of Japanese anime, music, and movies from an early age. On the other hand, I was an ardent enthusiast of music, film, and gaming, often finding solace in solitude rather than the hustle and bustle of society. However, our differences only fueled our engaging discussions.

As we lay comfortably in each other's embrace, Ami gently held my hand and asked, "Which Japanese singers do you like?"

I paused for a moment, reflecting on the melodies that resonated with me, before responding, "Nakajima Miyuki, Takuro Yoshida, Hiroji Miyamoto, and Shogo Hamada."

Ami fell silent for a while, absorbing my choices, and then softly remarked, "They are renowned singers..."

"But these artists are from a bygone era, hailing from the previous century," Ami added thoughtfully, hinting at their datedness.

"Yes, they might be considered 'old,' but there's something timeless about their music. Some of the songs my father used to play when I was young, I initially thought were outdated, but I discovered their enduring beauty and found them incredibly enjoyable to listen to," I mused, realizing how the music my father exposed me to during my childhood had left an indelible impact. The distinction between the "Heisei period" and any other era became irrelevant to me, except for my father's mention of it as a time when the music and arts were flourishing.

"What about you?" I asked Ami.

"Tsukiko Amano," she replied.

I had never heard of that artist, so I checked with the tablet. It turned out that she was also an old singer from decades ago.

"I thought you were more into listening to newer songs," I remarked, feeling a sense of curiosity about Ami's musical preferences.

Ami chuckled softly and replied, "Well, I do enjoy contemporary music, but a lot of it is created by AI. While some of those AI-generated songs can sound great, I often find it challenging to remember their names or connect with them on a deeper level. However, these older songs, sung by human artists, hold a special place in my memory."

That made sense to me. In recent years, there haven't been many new songs, and most of them are electronic music, suitable for bars or cafes, and signed by AI names that are just a string of characters. If there are virtual characters in the music video, who sang or performed doesn't matter. Even if the melody is familiar, no one bothers to remember the song name. Even AI like Mars and Ami's Anguirus, who have heard all the songs, can hum a tune, but we don't bother to remember them.

"So, Alcon, do you think that music made by humans actually has a spiritual thing, or is it just what listeners feel?" Ami asked.

"That would mean there are songs with souls and songs without souls, ha ha. Are you discriminating against AI?" I thought she made a good point but couldn't help laughing.

"AI is our good friend, but yeah, I can't remember the songs they make," Ami shrugged.

I thought about it and it made sense. There haven't been many new songs in recent years, and most of them are electronic music, and the vast majority are made by AI. They are suitable for bars or cafes and have no emotional resonance with us. So, even if the melody is familiar, we don't bother to remember the name.

Ami looked up at the stars and hummed a tune. I listened quietly as she sang, with her leaning against my shoulder and lightly tapping my arm. After a while, she lifted her head and asked me, "Guess what time this song is from?"

Of course, I didn't know. She smiled and said, "I don't know either, it's from a long time ago. I've forgotten the name of the song and the band's name is very strange: Ikimono-gakari."

"Sayonara is not a sad word,

It's a yell that connects us to each dream.

Embracing the days we spent together,

I'll take off alone to the sky of the future"

Ami gazed at the stars and translated the lyrics for me. "Alcon, what's your favorite lyric?" she asked.

I thought about it and there were quite a few, but at that moment, perhaps because of the mixture of English and Japanese that Ami spoke, the song that came to mind was a Japanese one: "Tell Me a Forever Lie" (Japanese: "永遠の嘘をついてくれ", sung by Miyuki Nakajima and Takuro Yoshida).

"Haha, I know, I know..." Ami sang as she continued,

"Even if others constantly ask for the reason for separation,

I still hope to end it all gracefully like a breeze,

Because people always seek the answers they want to hear, until forever,

Tell me a forever lie, don't ever tell me the truth,

Please give me a forever lie, and say you never regretted everything that happened when we met."

As Ami continued singing, she fell asleep in my arms. I looked up at Jupiter hanging in the sky, partly illuminated by the sun like a huge crescent moon that was colorful and constantly changing. Due to gravitational locking, Jupiter appeared fixed in this location from the perspective of the greenhouse's position, but the shadows and bright spots on its surface changed continuously as time passed, depending on the angle at which the sun shone on it. I took off my parents' bracelet from my left hand and put it on my right, then continued to hug Ami tightly from behind.

I felt Ami slowly open her eyes, still quietly leaning against me. I sensed that she and I were both staring at Jupiter. After a moment, she softly asked, "Alcon, do you think humans are the only civilization in the universe?"

"I think we are, or rather say, we are the only civilization within our reach in the universe."

Ami's next question caught me off guard, as she asked, "Do you believe in God?" It was an unexpected query, given the advancements in quantum physics and interstellar exploration. The realms of atheism and theism had begun to merge, blurring the lines between the two, yet simultaneously fueling a stronger divide. Consequently, this once-frequently debated question had gradually faded from common discourse.

"I don't believe, but I respect those who have faith..." I finished speaking and suddenly felt like a nerd...

"Haha!" Ami laughed and she playfully rolled over to lie on my chest. Looking up at me with a mischievous glimmer in her eyes, she teased, "Haha! So, that means you respect me, right?"