Alcon's Journal # 20 - Necklace

DSF@8c10e6d5035abe059748322e90f96b82

After returning from Europa, we continued to enjoy our vacation on Galileo 1. However, the time showed that in just over ten days, Ami would have to depart for the asteroid belt to start the next round of surveying tasks.

Amidst the growing sense of reluctance, we found solace in each other's company, often seeking refuge on the observation deck. There, we would stand together, holding each other tightly, engaging in heartfelt conversations. Other times, we would wander the streets for hours, traversing from 1A to 1B, and onward to 1C, before circling back to 1A. These walks became a way for us to temporarily escape the weight of our upcoming missions.

On the bustling streets of 1B, we would pause at a cozy coffee shop, taking respite as we watched the ebb and flow of people passing by. Playfully, we would speculate about their professions and destinations, weaving stories about their lives in our imaginations. In the resting station, relying on each other to read books, Ami immersed herself in the enchanting pages of "The Secret Garden," while I delved into the captivating realms of "2001: A Space Odyssey."

One time, Ami was still chatting with me, leaning against my arms and touching my right hand and bracelet. Suddenly, she shyly said, "Alcon, could you please buy me a diamond?"

"Huh?" I was a little surprised.

"Oh, I mean a very small one. I don't want a big expensive one. I just want to have something from you that can accompany me when I am flying alone, just like how your bracelet can always be with you even though your parents are far away."

I suddenly felt guilty, "I'm sorry, Ami. Actually, I should have suggested buying you something first."

"No, it's okay. I just thought of it. I just need something of yours to accompany me. I really don't want a big one, just a very small token, so I won't feel lonely."

Ami's request was not excessive at all. For us, the deep space mining survey astronauts, we eat and live on the spacecraft, and there are almost no living expenses. Even a small diamond on the market costs about two or three weeks' salary for us. For a survey mission that could last for several years, this request was really nothing.

I soon found a diamond necklace in a jewel store in 1C. However, plagued by self-doubt regarding my own sense of aesthetics, I showed the picture to Ami. Ami carefully studied the image, her brows furrowed in contemplation. After a moment of thoughtful consideration, she voiced her concern, "But it seems quite expensive..."

Her eyes lit up as she discovered another necklace, priced at approximately 50% of the original piece. Pointing to it, she suggested, "What about this one? It captures the essence of elegance while being more affordable."

I teased her by pinching her nose, "You're so cute, honey." Then I placed an order for the first one I found.

As I presented the gift to Ami, her laughter erupted uncontrollably, filling the air with joyous mirth. "Alcon, you truly astonish me," she exclaimed, her amusement evident. "You simply handed me the store's packaging bag directly hahaha, I had imagined a romantic dinner, where soft music would begin to play, and you would unveil a beautifully wrapped box..."

I smiled awkwardly, "So... shall we go have a romantic dinner now? Is it still okay?"

Ami came over and hugged me, "Hahaha, I was just kidding. How can I force a KU-2 exploration expert? I understand that you're not good at dealing with humans..." Then she hugged me and turned her back to me, "Alcon, put it on for me, please."

Ami naturally stood with her back to me, slightly tilting her head to look at herself and me in the mirror. I helped her put on the necklace, lifting her long hair behind her neck and threading it through the necklace before letting it fall back down. Then I hugged her from behind and rested my head on her shoulder. We stood in front of the mirror for a while and Ami said happily, "It looks so pretty, thank you..." She then reached out and encircled my head with her hand, whispering in my ear, "Alcon, I have prepared a gift for you too..."

Then she pulled out a small box from somewhere, turned around while still leaning on me, and opened it. Inside was a watch powered by a radioactive isotope battery. I suddenly understood her intention. Both the diamond and the isotope watch were things that could last for tens of thousands of years, or even beyond human timescales where time loses meaning...

I haven't been moved like this in a long time. Ami imitated me and rubbed her nose, then grabbed my hand and carefully adjusted the strap length and helped me put on the watch. She then pulled my hand and said, "Alcon, let's go. I'll treat you to a romantic dinner."