Alcon's Journal # 31 - Journey

DSF@80eaa22019d5494f30dd71970b4df27f

After more than 290 days of trekking, I'm back, Ami...

After requesting a Neptune gravity assist, I found myself propelled closer to Ami. As 3137 was slingshotted by Neptune's immense gravitational force, a terrifying thought crossed my mind: What if I commanded the vessel to decelerate now? Could I become a satellite of Neptune, merging with its atmosphere to be with Ami?

Yet, I remembered Ami's words about the solitary journey of finding one's own faith, even in the face of great adversity. Reluctantly, I turned my gaze back to Neptune and resumed acceleration, departing from its orbit and setting my course towards the enigmatic realm of the Kuiper Belt. I made a solemn promise to you, Ami, that I would strive to carry on, even in a world where you no longer exist.

Exploring the Kuiper Belt remains an experience of solitude and tranquility. I often find myself floating near the porthole, watching as Neptune slowly fades into the distance. In this remote world with its 165-year orbit around the sun, fierce winds rage, capable of tearing apart everything in their path. The temperature outside the protective hull of 3137 plunges below minus 200 degrees Celsius. Life here feels delicate and fragile. Due to the abundance of asteroids near Neptune's Lagrange points, most exploration spacecraft steer clear of this region or navigate cautiously at low speeds. I find myself as the sole explorer in this vast expanse. Mars informed me that the nearest exploration spacecraft is roughly 120 days away, equivalent to about 720 clock cycles. Yet, to me, time and space hold little significance. Like life and death, fate is something I have learned to accept with calmness and equanimity...

During my exploration, I caught sight of another enigmatic comet, yet to be identified. Mars diligently calculated its orbital period to be approximately 12,000 years, given its current trajectory and velocity. Its tail, still indistinct, awaits further clarity. As it ventures beyond the confines of the Kuiper Belt and approaches the inner reaches of the solar system, the comet's material rapidly evaporates, stretching its tail into a resplendent display of luminosity. Perhaps, back on Earth, humans will marvel at its ethereal beauty, unaware that its existence is fleeting. Despite its extended orbital cycle, this celestial wanderer may fade away before it can fulfill its destined lifespan.

As the culmination of my exploration nears and I begin my journey back, Neptune remains visible, albeit receding from my vantage point. Yet, I find solace in knowing that I will catch up with you, Ami, during my next foray into the depths of exploration. Our paths will converge once again...

Instead 3137 had aged gradually over the course of 13 years of exploration, making it a constant companion for more than a third of my life. When Mars alerted me of an "engine failure," I remained composed and followed the emergency procedures diligently. However, the magnetic confinement device of the fusion engine malfunctioned, causing the fusion core to collapse and melt the entire engine structure within an instant. Fortunately, the neutron reflection layer faced away from my cabin, redirecting the neutron beam in the opposite direction. But the molten engine structure pierced the propellant tank, resulting in a propellant leak that sent 3137 spiraling uncontrollably. The tremendous centrifugal force caused me to lose consciousness.

As consciousness slowly returned, I discovered that the propellant had almost entirely leaked, leaving only a small backup tank. Mars informed me that after exhausting the main propellant tank, he utilized the backup tank in conjunction with backup oxygen to initiate hydrogen-oxygen combustion and stabilize the spiral motion. A distress signal had been transmitted, and a rescue spacecraft was en route. However, due to the vast distance and the sparse distribution of the Kuiper belt formed by gravitational resonance, the rescue spacecraft struggled to maintain high speed during its journey. It was projected to arrive in 750 clock cycles (equivalent to 125 days).