CHAPTER SEVEN: THE GIRL FROM THE PHOTO

Dagmara's first weekend at her grandma's residence flew by much too quickly. On Monday and Tuesday she was mainly busy arranging her personal belongings, and before she knew it, she was already walking down the stairs to the kitchen on the first of September, Wednesday, wearing her festive clothes. The weather outside was nice enough to wear summer clothes, so she put on a cream skirt right above the knee and a white shirt. She wasn't sure what her schoolmates would wear, but she doubted they would dress formally.

Some time ago, she decided that she wouldn't wear black mourning clothes for a long time, although until now she had worn dark clothes around her father. She didn't want to bring up the subject of mourning with her dad, who had bought himself a set of black shirts for every occasion without a murmur. So today was officially the first day since the death of Blanka, her mother, when she put on bright clothes.

Casper whistled with admiration when she stood in the kitchen doorway. The outfit itself may not have been something very chic, the whole charm was added to her hair pinned up at the back of her head.

"Wow, you look like a princess and don't even try to deny it," he said appreciatively as he approached her to hand her something. "The doorman gives Madame the key and now he's going to transform himself into a chauffeur," he added, leaving in her hand the tiny object that was used to open the door, connected to a gold-shimmering globe-shaped pendant.

Her grandmother, having appeared right after Casper disappeared, looked without surprise at her still immobile hand, holding the keys. Dagmara thought that Casper gave her the item on her grandmother's order and as it turned out a few seconds later, she was right.

"It's just in case, though Casper promised to drop you off and pick you up from school anyway."

"That's very nice of him," she replied.

"I've got something else for you," Genevieve began, her hand digging in her pocket. After a moment, she pulled out a silver chain with a large sapphire shimmering with the blue of the sky. Around it in a double row were placed small diamonds that looked as if they were to protect the mineral. The eye of the sapphire looked phenomenal, from whichever side it was viewed, it charmed the viewer, showing him the palette of its shades.

"It's tanzanite," the woman informed her, pointing to the necklace that Dagmara initially mistook for a sapphire. "It's a stone for people born in December," she added, then shrugged her shoulders as if she didn't believe it herself. "I thought you might find it useful," she finished, handing her granddaughter the gift.

"Thank you," she replied, stunned. It was really beautiful, but it occurred to Dagmara that it must also be very expensive. She was about to bring up the subject when grandma turned to go to the refrigerator.

As she placed the tanzanite chain around her neck, a small inscription on the back caught her eye, it said Amandio Labadeo, but the grandmother didn't explain the meaning of the words, but began to bustle around the kitchen, preparing breakfast. The girl hid the given keys in a small bag prepared for today. But it was only when she did that that she noticed she hadn't taken anything to write with, and usually on the first day the teachers handed over the schedule for the next day. As she was new, she didn't want to get in trouble at first by pulling out her cell phone to write down the plan there. Thanking herself for remembering it at home, she ran to the other part of the mansion to get a pen.

Unfortunately, out of distraction, she mistook the chambers - instead of her own room, she went into the opposite one. She immediately recognized the mistake, but didn't fix it right away.

The room must have belonged to the boy, because apart from the white walls, the whole room was kept in dark colors. Since Casper was the only male, she deduced that the room belonged to him. She was a bit surprised by the distance running from her chamber to his - after all, they were very close to each other, but the time in which she discovered this fact wasn't suitable for pondering.