CHAPTER FIFTY SEVEN: THE ORACLE

"She died? Why?" Dagmara asked. "She wasn't eighteen yet."

The girl couldn't be eighteen, since Nikolai, Alan and Arleta wouldn't be celebrating their eighteenth birthday until after the New Year. She must have been his age.

"That's right, she wasn't eighteen," the girl rarely heard Nicholi in such a foul mood, so she blamed herself for bringing it up. "Karina, that was her name, died over a year ago, although I only found out about it recently. Let's drink."

He poured alcohol again, raised a toast to Karina, a girl he had never met but was his ideal, and drank it down. Dagmara did the same, she had to drink in her honor, but she had to immediately drink the juice right after.

"It was murder," he told her. "Perfidious, planned murder."

"Do you know who did it?" she felt a tingle in her legs as the alcohol spread quickly through her body.

"Of course!" Nikolai stared into the fire. "It was my godfather Paul who killed her, he even admitted to it... You may know my godfather because he sometimes comes to school to visit his fiancée, our teacher Natalie," he almost spat out the last words.

Dagmara inhaled loudly into her mouth. She didn't know this man, but it was no wonder that Ms. Natalie was disliked, since she associated with the killer.

The girl wasn't cold anymore - the alcohol and the sad news Nikolai had told her made her focus all her attention on them. After another round and another toast that read: "to every new day", Nikolai continued:

"He poisoned her. You know, first he made sure that her health condition didn't affect me. Some couples are connected in this strange way, it's rare, but sometimes it happens that when you do something to the girl, the guy feels it too. When he knew it wouldn't harm me, he gave her some deadly poison. Don't ask how he did it, because I don't know, she lived in Sandomierz, not Kielce."

"But he probably shouldn't even do that, right?" she remembered that Alan had mentioned this man once. He is one of the members of the Council.

"Of course not, but he thinks he can do anything. We have such a code, although it's not written down, but there are points for our Assembly that cannot be exceeded. One member cannot deprive another of the opportunity to gain power, as silly as that may sound."

Yes, it sounded stupid to her, because in her language it was nothing more than: do not deprive your brother of the opportunity to kill the woman assigned to him. This power should belong to him, only him.

"Does the Council know about it?"

"Not yet," Nikolai nodded negatively. "For now, it won't be enough to kick him out of our society, so Alan and I are waiting. It's sad, but he must commit one more offense against the Assembly," Nikolai reached into his coat. "When I read it now, everything seems so simple, I didn't understand it before..." he handed her a piece of paper. When she unfolded it, she immediately knew what it was.

"The oracle regarding Karina," she said quietly, but he didn't hear her. He poured another round.

1. Take this page in your hands,

But defend your plans.

This hour that killed,

Gave you anxiety drilled.

2. Look first at organ of vision,

Day and night makes collision.