CHAPTER THIRTY SIX: UNEXPECTED VISIT

Saturday, another day of frosty December. It was the second time that Dagmara had no news from her grandmother. Again Genevieve went on some journey and didn't let her know where.

Casper also disappeared early in the morning, claiming that he was going to the gym. Instead, he left his faithful friend, Tie, instructing him to look after the girl as if he were her guard dog.

She completed all her homework within two hours. She honestly couldn't believe how it was possible that her new school had only seventeen lessons. Excluding repeated subjects and homeroom classes, there were only eleven actual classes left.

At one o'clock, out of boredom, she reached for the box containing the diary. At first, she turned the page without excitement, but as soon as she saw the second note, something inside her stirred. Again, since the last note, she had been hoping to read the third part of the "life just before death" series.

She didn't know why she was so determined to read the entire diary. Maybe because she slowly identified with the red-haired girl who wrote it down? Or maybe Victoria simply drew her into her world so much that it was impossible not to continue?

Unfortunately, the dreams turned out to be just pipe dreams. The entry ended with the sentence:

Just the two of us facing the Council members.

And nothing more, just the words she had already seen before. She tried to strain her mind, looking for an idea of ​​what she did differently than usual, until the second entry was revealed. She read everything carefully every time, it was impossible for sentences to appear with the reader's concentration.

And suddenly she came up with something she hadn't thought of before. Another day has come. Yesterday, on Friday, she saw the first note, today she saw the next one.

But could that have been the point?

She thought back. It seemed unlikely that she hadn't checked the diary two days in a row before, but at the same time she couldn't remember it ever happening. She usually reached for the diary when she remembered it, then put it on the shelf and looked at it again a few days later. When she found the diary box in her room, in the evening, before going to bed, she saw the first note. That night she fell asleep with the diary in her hand, dreaming strange things. Casper woke her up a few minutes after...

"Midnight, it was the next day," Dagmara said to herself, becoming more and more convinced that her theory made sense.

She promised herself to open the diary tomorrow, as the limit for today was already exhausted. To make sure she didn't forget to do it, she even set a reminder on her phone for 11:59 p.m. today.

Dagmara left the room, crossed the courtyard and reached the second door just as the bell to the same section of the residence rang. She was surprised, usually no one visited her grandmother unannounced, and everyone else (Arleta, Casper and Sandra) had duplicate keys.

Of course she forgot about him.

"Grandma didn't give you the key?" she asked when she saw Alan come inside. He was wearing a black winter coat, very elegant, which made her think that she had probably never seen a boy dressed in ordinary shorts and a T-shirt before. As she expected, underneath he wore the formal attire she saw when he hung his coat in the hallway.

"She only gives keys to those she likes," he replied without the slightest regret that he was not one of Genevieve's favorites.

He had navy blue fabric pants, a light purple shirt with thin stripes, and a jacket. She remembered the first time she saw him in a suit and how much of an impression he made on her. She remembered this feeling exactly because she felt it again even though he wasn't wearing a suit today.