CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: A NEW ROUTE

"Where are you going?!" Nikolai asked Dagmara just after she separated from the other students, heading towards the school exit. "Your locker is not there," he explained to her, seemingly calmly, but there was something in his behavior that she didn't like.

"I'm not stupid, I know where my locker is," she muttered, turning to face the boy. "It's just that I've already finished my lessons. I don't go to PE," she added confidently.

"Then you should tell your teacher about it," Nikolai advised her in the same composed voice, in which, however, a note of panic could be heard.

"Yes, if I had it with me. But since I left it at my grandma's house, I'll bring it next time."

Nicholai looked surprised and stunned, as if someone had just hit him with a hammer.

"Then write to Casper, he will bring it to you and you will arrange it now."

"Do you know Casper?"

"Or I can call him."

"How do you know Casper?" she didn't give up, although Nikolai was not eager to answer.

"Everyone knows each other here. I'll text him."

The boy was already pulling out his cell phone when she sharply interrupted him.

"Don't you dare do it."

He looked at her. He was even more confused than when she had left the group.

"Listen. I don't want Casper to pick me up and drop me off from school every day. At first, maybe I wanted to, but that's what parents of five-year-olds do. I have to learn to be independent. I want to know what bus goes to the house where I currently live and how to go from there to the downtown. Don't you think it's important to know these things?"

She felt as if he was going to rudely tell her, "No, damn it, I don't think so. I prefer cars." But luckily, he didn't.

"Can I go with you then?"

"You're should have PE now," she reminded him.

"No, I also don't go," he replied and began rummaging through his pants, looking for something.

"I didn't know it was so popular here too," Dagmara thought aloud, remembering that in her previous school every third person was dismissed. She thought that in Kielce these statistics would turn out to be lower. In any case, she once again stated that the difference between the capital and Kielce was not so big at all.

Out of the corner of her eye she glanced at Nikolai's parents' exemption, but the boy who had just found it showed no interest at all in entrusting it to the hands of a gym teacher.

"What difference does it make if he gets it now or in the next class," he said, opening the door for her. As she stepped outside, she admitted he was absolutely right.

"In that case, we'll both show him the exemptions in the next class," Dagmara muttered, more to herself than to Nikolai, but she knew he heard it anyway, because he snorted softly.

"Sure, both of us," he began in a smart tone. "Actually everyone is trying not to go to PE."

Five minutes later they were at the bus stop. In fact, it wasn't hard to get there once you knew where to go. Nicholai showed her a shortcut near the statue of a certain unknown soldier.

"Bus 44 goes to Kusocińskiego Street," said Dagmara, moving her finger along the timetable. "Probably also 4. There are no others." She was a little saddened by the fact that numbers 44 and 4 are the only direct buses to her grandma's house, which in addition ran quite rarely, but she didn't let Nikolai know it. "Luckily, 44 will be here in seven minutes. I'm going to buy a ticket."