08 - Eye of the Storm

After a much needed weekend of doing nothing but reading and rewatching The Force Awakens to try and assure myself that I'm not a loser, I'm back at work- early afternoon this time, so I can actually be at training on time. Training on Friday was weird. I hated it. I didn't tell Sensei and Miguel about what I did. I just... wasn't ready. I got a pristine white gi and white belt though, so that was kind of cool. On a brighter note, Kyler left me alone. No taunting, no shoving, no making me do his homework- nothing. It was great. On a less bright note, I did not call Mystery Boy- I got too scared. Surprise surprise.

At least I can clear my mind for a little while I work on cars. That's a nice thing about this job. Fixing things forces my brain to focus on the task at hand so I can work through it without any mistakes. I usually end up more relaxed after I've been working for a while. I clock in, head to the garage, slip on my coveralls, greet the other mechanics, then get to work on my assigned car, slipping right into the grove of things, letting my karate troubles take a backseat as work takes the wheel.

—-

I finished the car- which meant fixing what was wrong with it then waxing it- and now I'm on break before helping one of the other mechanics- Mr Abelardo- on a more banged up van. It's a two person job and he's stuck with me. That's a lie. He asked for me. He reminds me of the nice man that lived down the street from us in Puerto Rico. He owned a grocery store and would get us good discounts on things when we were having a rough time. We'll get the job done in no time. As I walk into the break room, I spot somebody familiar sitting in one of the chairs, scrolling on his phone.

Mystery Boy..?

No way. No way. I retreat out of the doorway, standing just outside it. I keep my stuff in the garage lockers, so I've got my phone on me. No way that that's actually my Mystery Boy. I must be seeing things... nevertheless, I pull up the contacts app on my phone, selecting "Mystery Skater Boy". My thumb hovers over the 'call' button. Is this stupid? I hate calling people. What if it's not actually him? What if it is though? It can't hurt to try, right? If it's not him here, I'll just say that I accidentally called him at work, but also say that I'd love to go skating sometime soon. Not hesitating any longer, I press the button, holding the phone to my ear.

A second later, I hear a phone ringing from inside the break room. Holy shit. I peer in as he answers, seeming confused.

"Who is this?" he asks. I step into the doorway.

"Look up," is all I say. He looks up sharply, eyes widening a little.

"You," he says.

"You," I say back. He ends the call, pocketing his phone as he stands up. I do the same, meeting him halfway. This can't be real. Mystery Boy now works at LaRusso Auto? He's my coworker? Does this mean I get to know his real name now?

"You work here?" he asks. I've still got my coveralls on- just unbuttoned down to the waist because I was getting hot- and I'm in the break room, so that should be obvious.

"She's one of our mechanics," Mr LaRusso says, coming up out of nowhere, "started a few months ago. Been killing it ever since. Do you two know each other?"