16 - Cobras

Saturday PSAT practice is so boring. I mean, I appreciate the preparation, as I have to do well on the PSAT next year in order to have a shot at National Merit Scholar and therefore have money for college, but it's still so boring, especially since I could use today to be training for the All Valley tomorrow, or even to be working so I can earn some money. Anyhow, I'm glad it's over now and I can leave.

"Renée..." someone says from behind me, sounding sheepish. Ah, it's Miguel. Should've known. I respond with a "hmm?" to acknowledge his presence and ask what he wants.

"The other Cobras are going to the park and they're asking us to come. If you're in will you drive me?"

"Yeah," I agree, even though I'd like to get in the dojo and get in some last minute training, "you sound like a drag. Still caught up on that guy?"

"Yeah... I asked Sam about going to her house and meeting her parents and she suggested going literally anywhere else. I feel like she's embarrassed of me..." he says. My heart pangs as my situation with both sides of this Sensei-Mr LaRusso feud come back fresh in my mind.

"She shouldn't be. I know her dad and Sensei have some... problems, but it's not like you caused any of them or did any of it. I'd tell you to talk to her about it, but I think you and I both know I don't have the guts for it," I say. He laughs lightly.

"Thanks. I'll try, but I'm still convinced that she has something going on with your coworker, even if they're not really a thing. People don't just look at each other like that," he says. Now I'm curious as to how they looked at each other...

"I guess I wouldn't know," is all I say. He nods a little, and we continue to my car in silence.

—-

"Dibs on Viper next, kid," Hawk says as Bert and I do some loose sparring. He's worried about the All Valley and asked if I could give him some last minute pointers. I easily kick him in the face with a round kick, although there's no power behind it, so it's really just my shoe tapping the side of his glasses.

"Keep your hands up, okay? I know we're offense heavy, but you can't be offensive if you get out in the first five seconds because you didn't have your guard up," I say. He nods, taking a ready position once more.

"She's being too nice. She could've had your ass on the ground in two of those five seconds," Hawk says, throwing some punches to the air.

"How about you try sparring her then," Bert defends.

"With pleasure," Hawk grins, taking Bert's place across from me.

"You're still doing great, chiquito, just keep your hands up and stay light on your feet. I'm almost certain everyone there will have a height advantage on you, so you gotta be ready to get in close and score," I say as the later walks off to the side, watching his feet. A smile returns to his face as he nods.

"Thanks, Viper,"

"Of course," I say to him before turning to my new opponent, "you ready?"